Maine

Yankee Hill: The protein content on my Purina One cat food is 34%. And I suspect that it's a complete protein: containing all of the necessary amino acids. I'm not sure how a cat and bird compare, but if an amino acid is deficient, the rest of the amino acids that are present can't be completely utilized. That's why, if one is a vegetarian, it's important to know how to put together a vegetarian diet with all of the essential ammino acids so he doesn't run into deficiency issues. Wheat would be much less expensive for sure, but I suspect that the protein content is also quite a bit less.

KatySue: if you have a Habitat store near you, check there for hinges and fasteners before going to Mardens. Habitat is definitely cheaper if you don't mind used! (I'm sure the chooks won't mind!) I can't wait to see pics of your coop. I'd post some of mine, but I'm a techno-dolt! I even have a flower pot gracing each front corner of my coop, and for the most part, the girls leave them alone!

FINALLY!!! I went to water the tomatoes in the green house today, and found my first red tomatoes. The garden got a super late start this year due to all the time I invested in building a tractor, coop, incubator, and raising chicks. At least with those tomatoes in the green house, they should last past the first frost!!!

Lazy gardener--I'm not sure I've heard of those stores before! Ill have to check online an see where they are located. I love in the greater Portland area. Ill keep my fingers crossed, I certainly don't mind used!

Lazy gardener--I'm not sure I've heard of those stores before! Ill have to check online an see where they are located. I love in the greater Portland area. Ill keep my fingers crossed, I certainly don't mind used!

Habitat for Humanity does have a store in Portland. http://habitatportlandme.org/restore/ReStore_Shop_New.htm It is very small and the last time I was there I was not too impressed. They did not have much available and what they did have was either really old and worn or not what I wanted.

I find Mardens to be a great source for cheap stuff. The one in Scarborough is my favorite. I was just in there today and picked up a few things for the homestead. Better prices than Goodwill too.

Habitat for Humanity does have a store in Portland. http://habitatportlandme.org/restore/ReStore_Shop_New.htm It is very small and the last time I was there I was not too impressed. They did not have much available and what they did have was either really old and worn or not what I wanted.

I find Mardens to be a great source for cheap stuff. The one in Scarborough is my favorite. I was just in there today and picked up a few things for the homestead. Better prices than Goodwill too.

Well thanks for the info! I was in the Mardens in Gray this past weekend and was looking to see if they had the chicken-wire I wanted..naturally they had about EVERYTHING else! I was thinking the Scarborough one would likely have more options than the smaller Gray one. I forgot to even think of these places in regards to hinges and the small things! DUHHH!

Re: protein & feather growth...general chicken health; since chickens are omnivores, meat protein is high on their list of yummy. I can't free range here (residential neighborhood) so I have a light chicken tractor for bug and grass forays and I bought some grass-fed lamb liver. I threw it in my food processor and portioned out small treat baggies and froze them. I will thaw and throw the meat into the run for them about every week or so when they molt and during the winter. I gave them some when I first got them and they were big fans. :)

Why does the idea of feeding the chickens MEAT gross me out so much! Bugs, worms, no problem...but meat...just can't do it.

I became the proud adopted mama of an orphan red squirrel this afternoon. So far he is doing well. I told the kids that if he makes it to this weekend they can name him.

I am guessing him to be about three weeks old. Found in the road by someone down the street. I got the call as soon as I poured a glass of wine, put my feet up and announced that I was relaxing for the evening.

I became the proud adopted mama of an orphan red squirrel this afternoon. So far he is doing well. I told the kids that if he makes it to this weekend they can name him.

I am guessing him to be about three weeks old. Found in the road by someone down the street. I got the call as soon as I poured a glass of wine, put my feet up and announced that I was relaxing for the evening.

Aw good luck with the little one! I hope he makes it to the weekend (and beyond!) so he can get a name! I hope you have good news to share on your little guy later in the week :)

Re: the sod discussion: I'd give chicks sod from a lawn that has not been treated with insecticide or herbicides. I would definitely not give them purchased sod. I'm guessing that purchased sod would be very heavily laced with herb and pesticides, not to mention most likely a heavy nitrogen load.
Ditto on the purchased sod! Word to the wise--Do NOT dig a hole in the path of the lawnmower! DH wasn't too happy. I thought I did a pretty good job of filling the hole with dirt. Sheesh!
lau.gif

This is where weeds come in handy. We don't spray weeds anylonger (long story, but hubs is finally contemplating organic foods as a serious thing). So all those grass clumps that grow in my fruit beds and garden get thrown into the compost for the chickens...they love to peck through them.

And an update on Miss Jasmine...she DID lay an egg this morning! She laid it in the nest box (true to her old self, she never lays outside the nest box). So was this a molt? She really didn't loose much feathers, not like I would have thought...nothing that makes me go 'Oh...she's in molt'. Of note is that her and a few other hens have bare backs from our old rooster (who is no longer with us). Their feathers are growing back on their backs.
I use my weeds for this as well as all the grass clumps from the flower beds. Glad to hear Miss Jasmine laid an egg! I think she was taking a break possibly a mini-molt.

Hoppy!!!!!. Here is my Partridge Rock Rooster... He is 5 mo. old he has more color than the ones we were looking at.. But I do not know the standards for the breed.. I just think he looks sharp... He is better looking in real life...

Back
Top Bottom