Maine

Quote:
That is twice the amount I plant each year. I use most to make jarred tomato sauce and salsa plus seed for the following year. Then I usually have enough for a year of casual cooking use. You should have plenty of garlic next year :)

I was bummed when I finally got around to planting my garlic. I got a head from a friend who has this rare kind (most fabulous flavor ever!) I pulled it out of the cabinet and it has green powder mold. I pulled out the best/unaffected scapes and planted them. I guess we'll see.

I hope Maran gets better, Coopchick! It will be nice I the necropsy gives you some valuable information. When I had two that were sick a year or so ago, I assumed they had the same thing. One very slowly got better though, while the other died. She had some kind of infection going (internal layer?), but I never did find out what was wrong with the survivor.
good luck with maran. I feel that appetite is strongly related to survival. My miss Sophia is not eating or drinking and hasn't since Saturday. I tried using a dropper, but it didn't go so we'll. Surprisingly she had an egg in there this morning. I don't think she's going to make it, when bums me out. She is the sweetest, quirkiest thing every.

Thank you both bucka & MEMama! MEMama sorry to hear about your Sophia.
hugs.gif
It is so hard when they are sick! I never thought that I would worry so much about a chicken...mine are more pets who just happen to be able to give me breakfast!

Tonight Maran walked into the dog crate that I've been giving her vaporizer treatments in--on her own! I had to turn her around so she'd be facing the mist. By the time the treatment was done, the little stinker had turned away from the mist. I don't know how long she was like that but her tail feathers were damp. So I wrapped her in a towel to dry her off. Rubbed her down w/Vet Rx while I had her. She was trying to eat the buttons on my shirt and quite determined to do so--was acting a little feisty.
yesss.gif
I tried to get her to drink some water from a dish but apparently it tasted better from the palm of my hand instead. Yes, I sat there squirting water into my cupped hand with a syringe for as long as she would drink. She is still eating her "tea" rice but strangely didn't eat much of the scrambled egg which she loves.

My fun for the day. Got up at 330 to get to work by 5. At that time is was 40 degrees out and snowing. Got to work where it was still 40 with a light drizzle. Left work at 715, no planes to de-ice, and the temperature had dropped to 34 with a brisk breeze. Got home around 8 and let the dogs out on the back deck. Two of the dogs stayed inside. I opened the front door so I could go out and feed the birds. My foster dog decided he wanted to go out with me. I grabbed his collar and went to get him back inside. At that moment the Pyr decided she absolutely had to make a break for it. So at full speed she bolted through the door to freedom. In the process her head collided with mine. So there I was with the beginnings of a shiner on my left eye and a contact lens that was no longer where it should have been on the eye. And I had to go catch the Pyr. I did manage to hold on to Homer and get him back in the house. The Pyr ended up in the neighbors yard and stopped long enough for me to get her and walk her back home, take my contact out and finally feed the birds. Hopefully the rest of the day will be uneventful.
Holy Smokes Widget! I'm tired just reading about your morning!! Hope your eye is okay!! I don't care how small or how big the dog is, they all have hard heads!

Wow! Nice egg basket! So someday I will find a better container for egg collection. Right now, we use pockets and egg cartons, which sometimes results in accidents.

I second this! I want one! We have had a few "accidents" in egg collecting- Husband has smashed eggs in his pocket, and I ran 2 miles with one in mine, but thankfully, managed not to break it!

The last few mornings, I've raked down the coals in the wood stove, and taken advantage of the lower heat, thrown in 4 or 5 potatoes wrapped in foil. They bake very nicely in 25 - 30 minutes. That makes supper very easy to prepare, knowing that I have baked potatoes ready at a moments notice. I also think they are extra tasty cooked that way.

I know that silkie story was too cute! The whole thing was pretty cute except for the headless chicken! That was just cruel in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom