Maine

I feel so bad for the girls. It seems like they've been stuck inside forever due to bitter cold or nasty weather. It's beautiful today and they still can't explore because everything is under water (even the covered run). I left the front and back doors open. Three were standing in the driveway where bedding had fallen out the coop door, but that's only about 2' x 2' of moderately dry area.

No matter what the reason it is always a difficult decision to have to make but one we take on when we choose to have animals in our lives. I would say to bring the dog to the vet and at least get a medical opinion. It could be something easily treated. Or it may not be. I know from experience how hard it is to lose a companion but I always ask myself a simple question am I doing it for me or for the animal? It always comes down to quality of life not quantity.
hugs.gif
I hope it's something easily treated, but my mom thinks it isn't... I'll try to at least get her to the vet though. We owe her that much.

So sorry about your pug, MK. Is she old? Such a hard decision to make. : (

She's only about 8 years old. Not old for a pug. Then again, Bella (the pug in my avatar) died at 10... Mom and I were talking about it, and we were wondering if Maine just has a bad pug gene pool or something. The two pugs we rescued were born in Florida and they're the picture of health (except Rascal, who is the size and shape of a watermelon...), but Bella's sister died from Pug Dog Encephalitis and Lizzie already has some physical abnormalities. So who knows...

I hope it's something easily treated, but my mom thinks it isn't... I'll try to at least get her to the vet though. We owe her that much.

She's only about 8 years old. Not old for a pug. Then again, Bella (the pug in my avatar) died at 10... Mom and I were talking about it, and we were wondering if Maine just has a bad pug gene pool or something. The two pugs we rescued were born in Florida and they're the picture of health (except Rascal, who is the size and shape of a watermelon...), but Bella's sister died from Pug Dog Encephalitis and Lizzie already has some physical abnormalities. So who knows...

Not sure about Pug health issues that are genetic but sometimes Mother Nature throws even the best breeders for a loop. It is how the breeders react to issues that is important. Goes for any animal, even chickens but I think dog breeders are more harshly criticized.

The collie in my avatar came from a great breeder. His sire died suddenly at 9 from heart issues. This was several years after he had sired the litter. The breeder was devastated. She had only used that dog once for breeding (he was not hers but came from another breeder) and felt guilty that his pups might have inherited a heart problem. None did but it was something that could not have been detected when he was younger.

One of my co-workers has Boxers for breeding and showing. Not my favorite breed but if it were I would not hesitate to get a puppy from him. They care about the breed and how studied all the genetic disorders of the breed. They test for everything they can and will not breed if anything abnormal shows up. They keep in touch with all their puppy owners and want to improve the breed.

I also know a breeder of Rotties who I also would not hesitate to get a dog from if I were interested in the breed. Same with the breeder where I got my two Pyrenees from. She is retiring as a breeder this year since she and her husband are now in their 70s but health and temperament were the two most important things to her. Yet my one remaining Pyr (her sister died last summer from cancer that is not uncommon even in the best of lines) is overly shy. No idea why. None of the other puppies in her litter were that way. The breeder chose to spay her and place her in a home since she did not want to take a chance that it was genetic. Yet a brother from the same litter was one of the top Pyrs in the show ring for several years.

42 degrees today!!!
yesss.gif
I wish my driveway ice would melt some more but we managed to get out and about today. Saw lots of people wearing shorts. Too funny.

Chicken coop poop thawed and I managed to get a clean out done. As per my usual winter ritual I threw all the old shavings out into the run. First, to give me some traction on the ice, and second, to give me some sopping up of mud in the spots that have totally melted. Got them a new flock block, too, and the coop smells wonderful with the molasses and fresh pine shavings.

I'm ready for spring.

I closed the chickens up in their coop a little early when I saw this fella stalking the bird feeder earlier this week. I guess we will have to stop feeding the wild birds for a while.

Back
Top Bottom