Maine

I'm not sure what it is, quailtrail. Fowl pox? I don't know if there is a treatment for that. Have you tried posting it in the disease section? If it were me, and I couldn't figure it out, I would probably take a wait-and-see approach. If it continues to progress, or starts spreading to other birds, you may want to remove him from your flock.

Looks like frostbite to me. It is in the most distal part of his comb, and it appears that there is just a bit of black on the 2 points in front of it. Just my guess, but I think if it was fowl pox, he'd have more rounded lesions scattered over the comb and wattles, perhaps on his face as well, and they'd start out blistered/weepy. Folks who've experienced/ researched fowl pox, please feel free to correct me. BTW, he's pretty.

That is so funny to hear that your Wyandottes are not too noisy, because my girl is the loudest one in the bunch. I could hear her, this morning, through our CLOSED bathroom window! She just had to tell everyone that she'd laid an egg. It was even before the sun came up, so I'll bet she woke up the rest of my girls. She cracks me up!
lol.png
It's funny how ppl have different opinions of their birds. Lots of ppl don't like rhode island reds, but I love them. They are one of my favorite breeds of the many different breeds I've had!

A few days ago I was ready to strangle my roosters (I have 4), they wouldn't stop crowing for what seemed like hours on end! They were crowing to my neighbor's roosters (she has 8 roosters currently)! I can barely hear her roosters crow. My chickens must have very good hearing!

DowGirl: What color is your Wyandotte? I'm assuming that you got her from Melinda? How soon did she start laying?
She is Silver Laced. I got her from Becky McAvoy in Prospect. She started somewhere around 25 weeks, I think. I really like her-she's quite "chatty." Becky has so many birds that she doesn't handle them individually, that much. So, at first she was a little "stand offish," but she's much better now. A few weeks ago, I put Vaseline on their combs and she was the easiest one to handle.

I have seen chocolate and lavender silkies on other threads. Does anyone here in Maine have any of these colors? If so are there any hatching eggs available? I'm located in Gray and I'd be willing to drive up to an hour away to get some. Thanks!

I know I should ask this on the breed forum, but I'm just thinking the picture might be gone before anyone reads my question. Does anyone know what kind of chicken is on the home page under "chicken breeds?" Is a really pretty black and white chicken with a really neat pattern. I'm going to ask on the breed forum, too. I hope someone can tell me before the picture changes.

I know I should ask this on the breed forum, but I'm just thinking the picture might be gone before anyone reads my question. Does anyone know what kind of chicken is on the home page under "chicken breeds?" Is a really pretty black and white chicken with a really neat pattern. I'm going to ask on the breed forum, too. I hope someone can tell me before the picture changes.
Nevermind! I got a quick answer on the breed forum. It is a Silver Barnevelder. Does anyone here in Maine have any of these chickens and know about their disposition/productivity?

Sooo my BO roo's comb still looks like this...
k
It looks like a little frostbite to me. Unfortunately, a couple of my chickens got a touch of frostbite too during the last cold snap. I did a lot of researching and looked at a lot of photos to confirm. From what I have read, just leave it alone and the damaged parts will fall off eventually. Keep an eye on it for infection, but don't remove the damaged parts as it will actually protect the remaining comb from further frostbite. Don't be surprised to see some blood when the damaged skin falls off. I was shocked to see some blood on the feeder. It took me a moment to realize that it was from the frost damaged comb of one of my girls. The outer, damaged skin fell off and caused some bleeding. Then it healed over pretty quickly. Luckily, none of the others in the flock noticed and started pecking, but that is something to look out for.

I am frustrated because most of what I read on BYC state that heating the coop is not necessary as long as you have cold hardy breeds and they are housed in a draft free and well-ventilated coop. My coop has plenty of ventilation, but two of my girls experienced a little frostbite on their combs anyway. I finally decided to do what I felt was right and added some heat. I use a reptile heat lamp in a well secured and protected ceramic socket. I only turn it on when temperatures dip below 20˚F. Now everyone is more comfortable (including me). When temps dropped to -18˚F the coop stayed at 9˚F.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom