Major focused hen aggression?

ricemazter

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
Hi all, been awhile since I've been here, but I need some help. I have a single hen (golden campine) that I raised from an egg, and up until a few months ago everything was fine. Now she has become extremely aggressive towards me for some reason, won't let me get anywhere near her, and continually flares up and attacks me. Previously she was only this way towards my father, but now for some reason she's directing her aggression at me. Both my mother and sister are fine around her. They're both able to pick her up without a problem (she never really liked it, but she was never nasty about it). Given my unique situation, where I have to move her in and out the house on a daily basis, not being able to move her is a rather big problem. Though once I actually have her in my hands she seems to calm down, but today she actually continued to fight me until I put her down again. It's progressively getting worse and starting to get so bad to the point where I don't know if I can keep her for much longer.
My own personal hypothesis is that she's somehow associating me with dear old dad for some reason, and leaving my other family members alone. Could it possibly be the hot whether we're having? If so that doesn't explain why it's just me and my father. Could she be lonely? I live in a subdivision where I'm restricted to one chicken, but why would this just be starting now? Please help, I really want to provide for her in my limited setting, but I'm beginning to think that it might be best to let her go (to a new home).

welcome-byc.gif
It's all about dominance. As a single hen she views you as part of her flock and has become determined to subordinate you. It is not at all unusual for such behavior to escalate. When she attacks, grab her and with one hand on her back force her firmly to the ground. Hold her there until she stops struggling. If she becomes aggessive when you release her, repeat the submission. Continue until she gives up. Wear gloves and a long sleeved shirt if necessary. You are bigger. You CAN adjust her attitude.

Well in addition to the general aggression she's giving me, today when I went to pick her up to try and get her in the coop she did her usual puffing up and kicking, but she also turned and ran from me. I ended up accidentaly driving her into the pen. This was shortly after another one of her spits at me while I was getting her water. Normally when that happens I shoo her back by lightly pushing her away with my foot. This time she kept coming so I had to do it about 3 times before she backed off (quickly I might add). I'm worried she might be really threatened by me.

You should be more worried that she might not be threatened by you. One peck or flogging to the face/eyes could cause significant injury.

I had a hen get aggressive as well and she always drew blood. I did the hold to the ground thing mentioned already and it worked. It did however take me something like a month to do. I got a month worth of bites training her.

Back
Top Bottom