major mite infestation-need help

HSerChickLady

Songster
7 Years
Feb 12, 2012
upstate NY
Sadly we have suddenly lost two of our laying hens. I just dropped the second one off at the vet for a postmortem examination. The one thing we do know is that upon their deaths both birds were seriously infested with some sort of mite/other pest. The vet wants me to dust the rest of that flock with a poultry dust tonight to start treating the other coop mates. I've never had this happen before and didn't know they even had a pest problem-they look and act just fine. I even checked my flock after losing the first bird and didn't see anything on them then.

So here's where I need help.

What do I use and how do I do it? The vet said to use a poultry dust or seven powder. I have some seven powder but I don't even use that stuff on my garden so I'm quite nervous about using it on my hens. She said just dusting them with it should be sufficient and then repeat it in a few days. Should we throw the eggs out for a few days after doing the dusting? We try to do things as naturally as possible but I need to do something quickly to get rid of these pests.

What can i use to treat the coop? I assume I should not only do a complete coop cleaning but should treat the coop in some way?

How can I try to prevent this from happening again? I've never had a flock get infested like this before.

Should I treat my neighboring coops (one is more hens and the other is ducks)? Both deaths have been from the same coop but the others aren't very far away.

Should I move my bird feeders? They've been out there in the same yard for years but I read the hens can catch some of these pests from the wild birds.

Does brewer's yeast do anything mixed into my hens feed to either get rid of or prevent infestation? One of my books mentioned it as a possible treatment and I do have some on hand.

I do have a container of Red Earth if it might be of any use in this situation.

Anything else I should know. Thanks so much for the help. Hopefully we can get these girls debugged quickly and the postmortem comes back with nothing more serious going on.

Definitely use your Sevin dust. Dust the birds with it, either by putting some in old nylons and using the nylons as a powder puff all over their body, or by filling a small bag with Sevin, putting the bird in leaving just its head out, and gently shaking the bag so the dust goes all around the bird. I like the nylon method, lol.

Then, clean out the coop. Clean it well. Use a gentle soap and water. Dust everything with the Sevin (the walls, floor, roosts, literally everything), put bedding in and mix the bedding with Sevin. Wait a week, and do it all over to kill any that might have hatched in the meantime, since Sevin does not kill eggs, just adults.

You won't have seen any on your birds during the day because mites are nasty and hide in the coop during the day, then swarm on your birds at night when they are roosting.

Yup. You can also purchase Sevin liquid which is good for spraying on cracks in the coop, the underside of the roosts, etc. (Certain mites stay under the roosts during the day and get on the birds at night.)

I''ve seen a 7 day withdrawal recommended for Sevin, but I know lots of experienced chicken keepers don't do this. There is indeed some controversy about Sevin on chickens -- but if you don't stop the mites they can kill your birds, as you know. I actually sprinkle it lightly under the roosts in the litter, and under the litter in the nests, periodically.

Here are a couple of other sources:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818674/are-these-some-kind-of-egg-clusters/0_20#post_11897957

if you go to your local feed store or chicken supply store tsc atwoods you can get poultry dust and that will take care of mites i have never heard of using seven dust on chickens so i would rather spend the extra doller to get the actual treatment. it should say on the label for directions and if it is ok to eat the eggs while you are treating them having a bird feeder can cause harm to your birds i have some bird feeders that i put up and i just try to keep the feeders as far away from the coop as possible

Thanks so much. I have been checking them when i close them in just before dark and didn't see anything then either. Maybe my flashlight made them hide? Or maybe I was looking too soon after going up to roost before they could get covered in them? Thank goodness we've caught a break in the weather so I can clean things out really well. I'll be heading to town for shavings tomorrow so I can get things cleaned out after dusting the girls tonight. And luckily the gardening stuff is being restocked around here so I can get enough of the Seven.

I have some of the liquid seven too. Perfect! The one good thing to last summer's Japanese beetles on my bushes.

I will look for poultry protector tomorrow when I get shavings. Tonight the seven powder will have to do. After seeing how badly my dead birds were infested I don't dare wait even till tomorrow to start treatment.

Dusted that coop tonight as best as I could. Some were more cooperative than others with the process. Going to get them bins to use for dust baths tomorrow and will keep stuff for the mites in there for a while too. Hopefully those less cooperative birds will get themselves coated well that way. Should be an interesting next few weeks.

Fronline Plus knocked out a mites/lice problem for us within a day or two. We gave each of our large hens 3 drops directly on the skin on the back of their necks.

Back
Top Bottom