Making a dustbath...best "ingredients".

Allthefloofs

Songster
Sep 16, 2020
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi all, I have some big planters that the girls have repurposed into "dustbaths", they had bagged ground soil in them and I wondered if there was a better alternative. They are the felt type so they sort of slump as the girls fling the dirt out. Now that they are nearly empty I want to refill them with a better composition of materials for them to dustbathe in. Can you all give me some ideas of what (and maybe what not) to put in there for them? We have a nice sand/DE box in their run and they seem to prefer the ground soil or those containers. It isn't potting soil, no vermiculite or pearlite in it, just sort of the loamy stuff that comes in the bag for in ground use. I think it's the containers they like? Any advice would be really appreciated!

I think it's the containers they like?
I doubt it's the containers.. and likely has everything to do with the feel of the soil against their skin.. DE and sand.. like sand paper perhaps. None of my birds this far have bathed in sand.. but all use dirt happily.

My suggestion.. add a little peat moss which raises the acidity to *help* with combating parasites. Adding in some wood ash like from the fireplace is also a popular thing... and also maybe just some standard soil from another spot.

Notice I say "help" meaning it may not be enough if you get a parasite invasion and you may still need to treat your birds. Checking birds monthly after dark with a flashlight gives the clearest picture.

Consider adding your general location to your profile as it may help folks make their best suggestions at a glance. :)

I would love to see photos of your re-purposed planters being used by your lovely flock! :pop

I doubt it's the containers.. and likely has everything to do with the feel of the soil against their skin.. DE and sand.. like sand paper perhaps. None of my birds this far have bathed in sand.. but all use dirt happily.

My suggestion.. add a little peat moss which raises the acidity to *help* with combating parasites. Adding in some wood ash like from the fireplace is also a popular thing... and also maybe just some standard soil from another spot.

Notice I say "help" meaning it may not be enough if you get a parasite invasion and you may still need to treat your birds. Checking birds monthly after dark with a flashlight gives the clearest picture.

Consider adding your general location to your profile as it may help folks make their best suggestions at a glance. :)

I would love to see photos of your re-purposed planters being used by your lovely flock! :pop
Thank you! My little ones prefer the sand, but the older girls seem to like the garden soil 🤷🏻‍♀️. I will definitely take the advice about the peat moss.
I realize now that I had said none of the girls and then hadn't mentioned my littles who are only 10 weeks and separated from the big girls. I check them weekly for mites and lice and they are free of any pests.
I will add my location, it's Scottsdale, AZ since we are talking about it. Once I get the planters filled I will certainly post a pic, they are rather sad and empty right now. I think I can dig up an old pic with a sleeping dirt covered chicken...
0F99AE01-A035-4A1B-87A5-DD28637F6750.jpeg

I use peat moss, playground sand and DE. I know there’s a lot of debate about the use of the latter, but this is what I put in the dust bath. They do prefer just to dust in the dirt right next to the dust bath though.🤣
629230FB-0774-4DF6-8B04-46777FCD7EE9.jpeg

Last edited:
I follow the free-range birds around that have access to several acres with diverse micro-habitats that include mowed grass, planted areas, pasture and woodland. When actually dust bathing, mine are partial to dry soil in a sunny location with a good view. When they encounter burned brush piles they show a preference for concentrations of ash if other criteria met. I have been using topsoil that is classified as a silt-loam and added charcoal left over from burning trees. The charcoal breaks up as the chickens work it over. They also eat a lot of it too.

Back
Top Bottom