Making New Dog Breeds

ok, heres my 2 cents.

It amazes me that people are getting top dollar for these "designer dogs" . We called them MUTTS when I was growing up and you really did not want to be caught dead with one. They were the outcast of the dog community. NOW they get 200-300 or more dollars for these mutts.

hmm.png

Last edited by a moderator:
But it's not a new breed, in any normal sense of the word, if it doesn't breed true. And labradoodles, or whatever other breed1 x breed2 cross you're talking about, WON'T. The first generation is pretty predictable but if you cross them together with each other you will get a wild mix of various whatevers.

People want to let their lab and border collie farm dogs breed each other, and they like the resulting puppies? fine. Why not just leave it at that, though, with useful and wanted dogs coming out of it... rather than try to wring money or a name out of it by crossing those offspring further and having a lot lower rate of good and wanted dogs produced.

Too d*mn many dogs, some of them perfectly good easygoing animals, some of them less so, are being put down at shelters these days ALREADY.

JMHO,

Pat

Quote:
$200.00-300.00?? Wow. Here they get even more for them. Like the "goldendoodles" they can get anywhere from $500.00-800.00 for them!

You guys are going to get my honest, wholehearted opinion on this subject!

I can't stand the fact that people are intentionally breeding mutts. Yeah I know what some of you are saying, "every dog started out a mutt". Believe me I've heard it all before. There should be no breeding going on besides for show. Yes, that's in a perfect world, but I'd love to see it happen. Even the AKC has limited the amount of litters breeders can have per year. There are so many unwanted pet being thrown into the animal shelters. Yet people are still breeding the same types of dogs that are in the shelters in the first place.
You bought a mixed breed dog and you love it. Great! I'm glad you have found a nice companion. Who's to say you shouldn't of waited longer and saved one from death row though?
There are actually people out there that breed purebred dogs because they care about the quality and temperament of the dogs! They honestly try and improve on what they, and the AKC, see as faults. They keep extensive records of the dogs lineage. They have a pretty good idea of what breeding this do to that dog will produce. I'm sick of BYB (back yard breeders) trying to make a quick buck at the expense of these poor animals who don't have a choice.
Furthermore there are plenty of great breeders that sell off what other breeders consider cull puppies. They require a spay/neuter agreement and a VERY minimal re-homing fee. Breeding is no get rich fast scheme.

Quote:
I totally agree that animal owners should be responsible and not abuse their animals while they have them.

But animals are disposable...thats why they are animals and part of the food chain. If your dog and cat were running loose in the mountain for any length of time, chances are it would be dinner for something larger.

Uh, the same could be said of humans. Indeed the same often *has* been said of humans, e.g. of a different gender, color, nationality, ethnic group or state of poverty than the speaker's own.

So if making this type argument, remember that you yourself could end up on the short end of it, in past eras or in some places today.

Because people have put dogs and cats up on some higher level than other animals for some reason. If you have too many chickens, cows, pigs...you cull them. Why should it be any different with dogs or cats?

Well, some people feel that way. Some don't.

Not everybody chooses to consider cats and dogs less eligible for eating than other animals (and some consider things that we think of as quite edible, like cattle, to be as immune from the table as we consider dogs and cats).

And by the same token, in a different direction, not everybody considers cats and dogs (and other animals) so disposable that if you have too many you just kill the extras oh well no hard feelings.

You can't really claim that any one viewpoint on this is universal, or is particularly more logic-based than others.

Pat, personally feeling that it is extremely important to refrain from PRODUCING animals likely to wind up as surplus or unwanted, no matter what kind of critter we're talking about​

Quote:
I wish I could find a mutt. With everyone wanting a pure bread dog the shelters are full of them. We had mutts when I was a kid and they were the healthiest dogs Ive ever owned. They ate table scraps and grocery store dog food out of old hub caps in the front yard. Never had health problems, were great to play with and with about 8 of them at one time nobody messed with the property.

Back
Top Bottom