~MALAYSIAN SERAMA THREAD~ (PICS!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got sixteen serama eggs in the incubator right now, on day eleven. They're lookin' good! I was so nervous when I got them because the post office was rough on them (quite a few had messed-up air cells), but a little under half of the thirty-something I was sent still pulled through! Some of these eggs are so tiny--my hens are small but their eggs are more normal bantam size than these ones. They're still growing, though, despite the tiny size.
big_smile.png
It'll be nice to have some more birds from separate bloodlines. The parent birds looked nice and typey.

Also, one of my hens is on four eggs that are further along than the sixteen in the incubator. And here she just hatched chicks about 8 weeks ago, so she's being a prolific little broody! She SHRIEKS really high-pitched when I put my hand next to her, it's funny.

I've got six chicks, too, four that are around eight weeks and two that are about five or six weeks. And two pullets that were born in early June that unfortunately aren't that typey. I'm going to keep them, but they probably won't be used in breeding unless their type improves as they grow up.

I'm going to have quite a few young seramas around pretty soon! I can't wait!
wee.gif
I'll post pictures in this thread then! Or maybe a little earlier, we'll see. I'm kinda tempted to go take pictures now...

Quote:
Each hen is different in laying especially---- and sometime on how good they are at brooding.
It depends on size, diet, light, age, breeding and many other things, but most seramas make great broodies.

If you want to encourage her to keep laying, and you would like to keep using the incubator, she will be fine laying eggs as long as she is on a balanced diet. You might add some oyster shell for calcium though. She will lay longer if you keep her under lights.

If you would like the joy of watching a momma and her babies, then leave the eggs in there.
I've never had a serama that wouldn't sit...if yours won't .... maybe she is laying to the beat of her own drummer and has no time for babies, lol
If you leave the eggs in there.. when she gets the 'right number' she will start sitting. Whether she is a super great broody is another matter.... if she is young, she may get up too soon. Just keep observing her and let her do her thing.

Either way is natural for a chicken, so dont worry too much about her.
In the wild, sometimes they have something steal eggs, and they have to keep laying, and sometimes they get lucky enough to get a clutch to hatch. So really, its whatever you encourage her to do.

OK experts, I have waited a long time to produce a nice new cockerel. This lil guy (I call him lil big man for now) has stole my heart. Altho not extremely typey.. yet IMO he has potential? Note- He is not for showing but for breeding depending on how he turns out. I would love to hear your opinions on him. He hatched 6-04. Not the best pics as he is used to running free and is very hard to get a decent picture of. He is taking after his mother as far as size goes and she is pretty small at about 12 oz. He is pretty mellow like his mom too which is a plus for me. I am a little concerned about how his tail looks. Whatcha think?

He is stretching out in this pic getting ready to crow so his wings look a bit short.
10663_img_8962.jpg

Right side
10663_img_8973.jpg

Left side
10663_img_8976.jpg

I like to put a scrap of rabbit fur into a corner of my brooder.
The babies really love snuggling up to it.
It works especially well if you find yourself with only a single chick
who has no buddies to curl up with and it will keep them quiet all night long.

These 5 hatched 8 - 12 hours before I took the photo.

fabfive.jpg

My seramas are super tiny is that a breed type that makes them this way? They are my first pair but they are smaller than my hand at 9-10 weks old the rooster is already crowing?

Hey Liz, here are some new pictures of some of Leo and Lugh's kids:

A promising two month old cockerel (his comb is still unfolding), I have kept him back to see how he finishes out. I just love his coloring.
smile.png
(yes it is a blue sheen that he has)

49849_dsc03845.jpg

Here is a the new group that Lugh hatched out herself last Friday, I just love watching such tiny little things run around.
big_smile.png

49849_dsc03859.jpg

Last edited:
Here is another set of chicks that I have from a different group, can't wait to see what comes of these two (cockerel/pullet). They have some very interesting coloring, lots of white. They are around 4-5 weeks old.
smile.png

49849_dsc03866.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom