~MALAYSIAN SERAMA THREAD~ (PICS!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if I'm in the wrong place.
I am a bit worried about my Serama hen. She had been broody over 4 eggs,due to hatch on Sept 2nd. When nothing happened, I candled them and they were duds.Took them away,she seems fine,but, she has yet to start laying again. Everything I've read here says around a week to 10 days. It's been 17.Could she be eggbound or are Seramas slower to start back laying again?
sad.png

It might be that she is slow to start laying.
I have a range of broodiness in my hens.. some are ultra broody and take a while to get back into the swing of things, and some are broody, but will start laying again while they are raising chicks!
She is not still acting broody at all? Some say to put them on a wire bottom cage to cool them off, or we use a rooster to break some up.

I'd watch her vent for abnormalities, and see if she is acting normally to see if she is egg bound.

Thanks Bluegrass Seramas, she seemed fine.I checked her vent and it seemed okay to me. Went out later in the day yesterday and lo and behold there was an egg in her nest! May have scared it out of her! Anyway, problem solved. This always happens to me. Wait and wait for something in the mail. Finally decide to contact the people and it shows up that day !
In this case, I'm sure glad it worked!!!
I appreciate your reply!

(Raises hand) Is it my turn to ask a question?

My Serama hen was laying when she was shipped to me (she had laid a couple of eggs in the box). The stress of the move evidently caused her to stop, but she has recently begun laying again. She is laying an egg every other day. I have been collecting the eggs, and putting them in my incubator; the first ones are showing development so I know they are fertile (
ya.gif
). Like a good girl, she's putting them in the nest, but hasn't shown any sign of wanting to brood them. Is she likely to continue laying, or should I let the eggs accumulate and see if she'll go broody? I don't want her to wear herself out laying, but I know brooding can be stressful too! I've heard so many things about egglaying and brooding in Seramas, is there a common pattern or is each hen different?

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone! Cannonball followed me into the house today, so we spent some quiet time over a banana and a movie. I believe I am going to plant a Stella D'Oro over her instead of a fern, since the company was so nice as to name the flower after her
lol.png
. Her pen is being disassembled and redone with two layers of fencing, for any future cats with big ideas. And all her babies (I have three, five more eggs in the bator), are being given celestial names in her honor. One of a kind, she was! I hope everyone has such a beloved pet in their lives! Stella's legacy, Orion and Luna, future showbirds extrordinaire:
31816_img_1386.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Liz, on a lighter note I thought I would share that Leo & Lugh had three more babies today. This time she decides she wanted to do it on her own, one yellow with a stripe and two dark brown with stripes. I have one of their young cockerels that is starting to look real promising. He is only 2 months old (his comb isn't even all the way out yet) and extremely vertical!
big_smile.png
So far he looks to have a nice back, pulls that tail up, puts his head back and puffs that little chest out, bless his heart he tries so hard to give out such a big crow.
lol.png
He reminds me allot of Leo just a different color and loves to be held. Will have to give him a photo shoot soon.
smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom