~MALAYSIAN SERAMA THREAD~ (PICS!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
My incubator came with an automatic egg turner. It was awesome, I only had to check the humidity and temperature occasionally and the turner turned all the eggs for me hourly.
love.gif

I highly recommend using one. They're great.

thank you carolynspeeps. I have done that but didnt fair to well trying different things and got a new genesis 1588. So far looks promising
fl.gif
I use turners mainly because i work alot of hours. Plus it turns them more evenly and dont lose temp or humidity. But thats me. some like to hand turn and some dont. kinda depends on the person. Hope this helps.
smile.png

Quote:
You should be very happy with the Genesis...everyone I know LOVES it. I have hatched all my Serama in a Brinsea. Had great results with it too. Currently hatching 3 out, 1 pipped and hopefully more to come. It's just so hard to judge when these little guys will decide it's time to hatch. Enjoy those babies!

Thank you yeah i am still thinking about getting a brinsea. But gonna wait and see if i can get some adult birds. waiting for winter to pass. good luck on yours too. will try and get some pics up when they come.........
smile.png

Quote:
You should be very happy with the Genesis...everyone I know LOVES it. I have hatched all my Serama in a Brinsea. Had great results with it too. Currently hatching 3 out, 1 pipped and hopefully more to come. It's just so hard to judge when these little guys will decide it's time to hatch. Enjoy those babies!

Quote:

I always lockdown my Serama at day 17. It is very common for them to hatch at day 19.
smile.png
My first pip, for this current hatch, came at day 18. Good luck!

I've also been told they hatch on day 19, though the bigger eggs usually take the full 21. It's just safer to move them early, stopping turning a few days early won't hurt them a bit.

@bobbyc1970: You can still move them, just make sure you put something in there to bring the humidity up fast. I use a wash cloth, folded in half once, soaked with hot water. But if they are the only eggs in your turner then just unplug it and leave them where they are.

Okay, well, thanks for the response on egg carton hatching
smile.png
I'll give it a try. If they DO hatch early (I plan on locking down on day 17) there shouldn't be as much of a problem with the larger chicks out and about.

before I got my turner I kept the eggs in half cartons and then tilted the ENTIRE incubator and put a brick under one side and then switched with good results.

how do you start training then to pose ? my little guy needs to start school
38899_100_1185.jpg

he will do it on his own sometimes but I would like to show him

Quote:
The best way to work with your bird is to practice, practice, practice. Take him out of the brooder and get him used to being handled. The more comfortable he is in new situations, the better he will be. Let him stand on different surfaces and practice putting him in the brooder and taking him out. Once he is comfortable on a table or towel or carpet, you can practice posing. Try not to put your hand over top of him, instead, gently stroke his throat and tap the underside of his beak. This will encourage him to look up and lean back. I am new to showing but I know it takes time. You should expect that your little cuttie will need to be at least 6 months old before he will be mature enough to show. Hope this helps, I know it has helped me in working with my birds. Good luck!

Quote:
The best way to work with your bird is to practice, practice, practice. Take him out of the brooder and get him used to being handled. The more comfortable he is in new situations, the better he will be. Let him stand on different surfaces and practice putting him in the brooder and taking him out. Once he is comfortable on a table or towel or carpet, you can practice posing. Try not to put your hand over top of him, instead, gently stroke his throat and tap the underside of his beak. This will encourage him to look up and lean back. I am new to showing but I know it takes time. You should expect that your little cuttie will need to be at least 6 months old before he will be mature enough to show. Hope this helps, I know it has helped me in working with my birds. Good luck!

The judges on SCNA recommend at least 9 months for cockerels or 6 months for pullets, but you have to take their performance and type into consideration as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom