Male prepares nest?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MichelleKing, Mar 11, 2019.

1. MichelleKing

MichelleKing Songster

Aug 25, 2018
    Ohio
    I have a gorgeous Serama pair who are my absolute babies. They live in a “Serama Townhouse” inside my own house.

The hen just started laying her little eggs daily (almost) about a month ago. I noticed that when she starts pacing and cackling, the male goes to her nesting box and starts preparing the nest for her. He scratches around and makes like a literal nesting area. Then she lays her egg where he’s prepared a spot for her.

Then she doesn’t (or hasn’t) gone broody or anything, and the two just go about their business.

I think it’s adorable but I was wondering about this male’s nest preparing behavior. He’s my only male so I have no clue if that’s a thing.

Anyone got stories like this or want to weigh in?

2. 2 many chickens

2 many chickens Songster

Jan 14, 2017
    He's being a good husband lol
    My button roo digs a nest for his mate everyday

puffypoo, SueT, Shadrach and 2 others like this.
  3. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    puffypoo and MichelleKing like this.
  4. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    My roosters do it for the first egg produced in a nest by a given hen. It is part of sequence so both birds know where nest is located. Some breeds may have some interested modifications to the behavior stemming from inbreeding. The hen is key to the sequence as she gives the signal she is looking for a nest. My hens typically do not give the signal for subsequent eggs in a clutch because they know where the nest is located from that point on in producing that clutch.

puffypoo, SueT and Shadrach like this.
  5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

My Silkie Rooster actually has built a nest for my Hens in the corner of the Coop and tries to encourage the Hens to lay eggs in it..:gig..They ignore him and lay in the nest boxes instead..:frow

puffypoo, SueT and MichelleKing like this.
  6. MichelleKing

MichelleKing Songster

Aug 25, 2018
    Ohio
    I’m laughing that’s so cute

chickens really likes this.
  7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Yes..He is rediculous ..:gig..I introduced my Silkie Hen and her Chicks to the Coop he spends all day tidbiting for the Chicks and they ignore him too..:lau..He definitely is a keeper.:frow

Shorty22366 and puffypoo like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: