Mallard Ducks

Myuck40

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 23, 2014
I have a mallard that has laid 11 egg in a nest in my shrubs. She has been sitting on her eggs for about 25+ days.
Yesterday morning I saw some of her eggs in the driveway. I went out to check. Some animal had gotten into her nest. One egg was completely cracked open and baby was gone. Second egg was half open baby was dead. Third egg has a small crack. I put gloves on and put the cracked egg back in the nest. I discarded the other two.
When she returned she was quacking for about 30 minutes in my driveway.she did not go back on her nest.
I gave not seen her back since.
Will she abandon the rest of her eggs? Should I remove the cracked egg?
I am so worried about these eggs. Please tell me what to do.
Thank you
Myuck40

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Generally when a hen is scared off the nest by a predator, they do abandon the nest. However, you might want to post this in our Ducks section for more help from all those duck experts...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Good luck with your ducks and I hope you can figure out what got into the duck area and get it secure.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about the nest, X3 on try the Ducks section.. if you have an incubator I'd put them in that, or try to make a homemade one quick if she isn't back soon.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Sorry about what happened to your duck hatchlings. I don't know much about ducks (although I've had a few), but I have to admit that ducklings are the ultimate in cute. You have been given the link for our duck section. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your ducks.

Well I am sad to say. The eggs did not hatch. I think it's past the time to hatch. It's been about 35 days since the eggs were laid.
The Mother did not come back.
I tried the heated towels. But nothing has happened. I think it's time to give up. But I just can't bring myself to discard the eggs.
Very Sad
Mtuck40

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I'm so sorry to hear the poor duck's nest got messed up and at this late stage too! That egg may still surprise you and hatch, so I'd say give it a bit longer...
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom