Mallard hen or drake?

Hball

Chirping
Jun 1, 2022
Kentucky
I’ve had this mallard since a couple days old. The whole time I have thought female, but have noticed 2 small curled tail feathers and the head has a green sheen. This duck is now 17 weeks old. Please tell me I don’t have another drake bc the sexes are really starting to show now that I have found I have 2 drakes already and what I thought was 5 hens. I thought it was a Rouen but I’m thinking more mallard as he/she is super small compared to all the other ducks, even the light breeds. Also he/she is mouthy like the other hens but it has a raspier sound but doesn’t sound like the other drakes if that makes sense. Lol
E9DA1728-2D6B-4080-BCAA-5C560FC2C476.jpeg
782EF998-3889-4128-8E0F-49752923EA7B.jpeg
2F7561FB-260D-4823-B9EC-AB98B13F5054.jpeg
93D25E5E-1B7C-4B91-9177-66DEDC4BC250.jpeg

Attachments

• 63C54A3D-FEFE-4E5E-B9B6-410F9A1C353A.jpeg
    63C54A3D-FEFE-4E5E-B9B6-410F9A1C353A.jpeg
    416.5 KB · Views: 9
Dang it :( so now I have to get rid of one or two or change them out for females. The two I have left that I got from just a couple days old are both drakes. But the other drake I have that I got at 3 weeks old is super chill. Actually all the males are extremely chill so now it’s going to be hard to determine which ones have to go bc I don’t know if I can house anymore ducks in a 10x10 area. I have 7 right now (3 drakes and now 4 females)

I see the drake feather in the last pic
The green sheen on head isn’t always a for sure boy as I have a young hen that has it
I thought she was a boy till she started to quack around 5 weeks old. Now 8 weeks she is definitely girl with her quack
But the drake feather is definitely a boy thing
I will try to get a video of the quack. Very talkative but does have a raspy sound. I thought drakes weren’t very vocal

I see the drake feather in the last pic
The green sheen on head isn’t always a for sure boy as I have a young hen that has it
I thought she was a boy till she started to quack around 5 weeks old. Now 8 weeks she is definitely girl with her quack
But the drake feather is definitely a boy thing
I agree. He is very pretty!
Do you know if the mallard drake is really aggressive during breeding? I am wanting to keep the saxony drake for sure. But now have to decide between the mallard or the golden 300 that looks similar to a khaki Campbell/Rouen but super chill. I didn’t know if mallard were really aggressive since they are so small. The only negative is that he can fly but I can always clip his flight feathers. So I’m stuck bc I want to try and keep two drakes for now and change the third out to a female.

Do you know if the mallard drake is really aggressive during breeding? I am wanting to keep the saxony drake for sure. But now have to decide between the mallard or the golden 300 that looks similar to a khaki Campbell/Rouen but super chill. I didn’t know if mallard were really aggressive since they are so small. The only negative is that he can fly but I can always clip his flight feathers. So I’m stuck bc I want to try and keep two drakes for now and change the third out to a female.
My drakes have always been Khaki’s or Khaku mixes and they were all pretty aggressive. They are all descendants of Mallards so I think they would all be pretty similar. The advantage is his size. His weight won’t hurt larger females. So, I might keep him for that reason. Genetically, his traits are mostly dominant, wild type, so his offspring will look like him.

My drakes have always been Khaki’s or Khaku mixes and they were all pretty aggressive. They are all descendants of Mallards so I think they would all be pretty similar. The advantage is his size. His weight won’t hurt larger females. So, I might keep him for that reason. Genetically, his traits are mostly dominant, wild type, so his offspring will look like
Ahhh such a hard decision!!! Should I wait it out and see how they act or do you think I should go ahead and get rid of one of them and keep 2 drakes with 5 hens or get rid of 2 and just keep my saxony drake with 6 hens? Why does this have to be hard!!! Grrrr but if it’s 3-6 per drake then I could also try to get rid of one drake and trade for a hen and then if 5 hens aren’t enough for 2 drakes then add one more and see if that helps and maybe get by with 3 hens per drake.

Back
Top Bottom