Mama & babies with other 2week old chicks or not????

MemaDeb

Chirping
May 12, 2020
I hope that I am I in the right forum, please move if it isn't correct.
My Broody is currently finishing out her hatch. She has 2 already hatched out, 1 in half way out & one internally pipping. I also have older chicks that I purchased 2 weeks ago. Is it safe to put her in there with them tonight when all are sleeping due to the fact that her nesting spot is about 3 feet off of the ground? I have them in a separated run area 4' x 9' that I have chicken side or other blockade to the roof so that the big girls don't get in. I also have a couple of bottles of "Peck No More" if it would help, if necessary. Thank you in advance!

2 weeks is pretty old for chicks to try to accept a momma. It’s not only whether the momma will accept them as hers, but if the chicks will recognize her as their new mom.

How many chicks do you have that are 2 weeks old?

Probably a bad idea. Her chicks are too new, and if she accepts the older ones, the littles won't be able to keep up with these older chicks. She may ignore or kill the older chicks, also not a good outcome.
I wouldn't try it, risking all these babies.
Mary

“Peck no more” I would think is to help with birds of the same age or roughly the same age. An adult hen can easily kill a chick with or without a spray.

But no I wouldn’t put them together even for the night 😕

2 weeks is pretty old for chicks to try to accept a momma. It’s not only whether the momma will accept them as hers, but if the chicks will recognize her as their new mom.

How many chicks do you have that are 2 weeks old?

I have 5 that are 2 weeks and 6 that are 1 1/2 weeks.

“Peck no more” I would think is to help with birds of the same age or roughly the same age. An adult hen can easily kill a chick with or without a spray.

But no I wouldn’t put them together even for the night 😕

Thanks! My husband told me that he didn't think it was a good idea either. I made a little box for her that I will probably move her to tomorrow night since the nesting area that she is in will be too high for her chicks to access. For tonight I put a 1" x 4" board across the front so that the chicks can't get out. 3 chicks have hatched and I am hoping for the other 2 chicks to pip out tonight/tomorrow.

Probably a bad idea. Her chicks are too new, and if she accepts the older ones, the littles won't be able to keep up with these older chicks. She may ignore or kill the older chicks, also not a good outcome.
I wouldn't try it, risking all these babies.
Mary

Thank you! I got the general consensus from all, so I will look to protect all my babies!🐥🐥

Back
Top Bottom