Mama chicken eating baby that just hatched

She is still sitting and there is another since I left and came home. I have a next set-up right next to her to move her to. Luckily she is hay bail and the yukky stuff leak down into the bail all the little chick are completely clean, but they all move tomorrow no matter what.

She is still sitting and there is another since I left and came home. I have a next set-up right next to her to move her to. Luckily she is hay bail and the yukky stuff leak down into the bail all the little chick are completely clean, but they all move tomorrow no matter what.
With that kind of outcome so far, I have to believe maybe there was something wrong with the first chick. Maybe it had the yucky egg on it or something else undetectable to us.

They all, even Mamma Murderer, are lovely!
love.gif

Glad you feel like we are all friends here.
highfive.gif

Why are you planning to move her?
Unless you don't have a secure run, I would leave her in the coop. She will be just fine. She will keep them in the coop/nest box for about a week and then take them out into the run. As long as there is a sheltered area in the run for her to brood and sleep with them and the run is predator-proof, they should be fine.
The other hens should not bother them, she will protect them from any hen that gets to curious.
Make sure the peeps have access to chick starter and a chick waterer.
I was hand feeding my peeps on day 2:

Thanks!
Not to hijack the thread, but those are the Light Brahma roo x Ameraucana & Silver Leghorn hen crosses my Little Hen set back in late April/May. They hatched May 12-13.
They are now 19 weeks old, here are the 3 pullets I kept, all from the LB x Ameraucana crosses:

Why are you planning to move her?
Rotten egg exploded in nest.

Great News!

This morning when I went out there were 6 chicks and she was still sitting, when I got home from work she had moved off the nest. Unfortunately one off the chicks was dead and there were 6 unhatched eggs. But the the other 5 were happy and with mom. I clean out the pen (they are actually in one of my old rabbit pens 3ft by 2 -21/2 feet, so there is lots of room.) They are all eating and drinking. I blocked up the back so no one jumps out, tomorrow I will build them a ramp. It has been a crazy week, Last Thursday my other Broody hen hatched 3 (of 6). I wasn't expecting them for a few more days (we were on vacation when she starting sitting so it was a guess). She was up in a nesting box and some how got out with 2 of the chicks and left the 3rd one. When I got home and found them I was shocked. When I went to take out the dead one, I found it was still alive (barely) it was almost froze to death. Ran it in the house, worked on warning it up and stimulating it. Within and hour it was chirping and trying to move. It could not sitting up right or walk, but by the middle of the night it was doing great. I brought it to work with me the next day. It was eating and drinking and I gave it back to mama that night. (see the 2 pic below).... she had them outside by the barn walking them around by the day 2. So I have been very busy..... Love my girls!
14448982_10208191861697342_117454330650244306_n.jpg

14224720_10208132882902909_8774528972027636028_n.jpg
14292274_10208139515028708_4650417167951911556_n.jpg

Thank you, we unfortunately lost a baby today, not sure what was wrong with it =(. The others seem fine hope there are not more losses. Good Luck to you, having babies (despite some of the bad stuff is fun) I wish you a Broody Hen!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom