Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I'll pop over there in a minute, although I don't know what I can offer. But hard to know until I've read the posts, right? I've been swamped this week, but it's a good kinda swamped. My granddaughter, Little Diane, and her new husband are home for a visit. Yesterday we tossed some stuff into a cooler and took a little ride....left the house at 6 am, hit Yellowstone Park and the very spot where Dustin proposed to her last year, then a jaunt on down to the Grand Tetons, lunch in Jackson, a DQ ice cream in Cody, and then back home. By 9 pm we were sitting at the table playing cards!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

3. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

4. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    @Blooiebeatiful country you live in. How great you got some non-chicken family time, lol.

5. Fire Ant Farm

Fire Ant Farm Get off my lawn Premium Member

May 5, 2015
    South Texas
    I'm not too grossed out about the poopy feet, but alas, my 4 and 5 week olds seem to hold their smelliest, nastiest cecal poops for when they are in my lap or on my shoulder. I swear they do it on purpose. I now have specific chick-cuddling clothes that go into the wash almost every day...

- Ant Farm

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Blooie, you can just see the love oozing out of those pixels.

I've done the parakeet thing too. Had a beautiful green and blue male who used to dance around on the cat's head and preen her whiskers and the tufts at the end of her ears, while murmuring "pretty bird, pretty-pretty bird! He was accompanied by a cream colored female. The sun shining on her feathers gave them a pearly blue cast. Impossible to describe. She was beautiful, but such a b!+(h! She'd pick him up by the feathers on top of his head, and toss him off the perch. What ever feed cup he was eating out of, that's the one she'd chase him away from. He was very tame. Her... no way. He absolutely adored her.

7. sad1199

sad1199 New Egg

May 31, 2015
    Lancaster, CA
    Hello! I read the first part of your post and have a question. We have geckos who need to have a place in there cage that is about 85 to 90 degrees. They are fat and happy. Could I get a side heating pad like I have in their cages and attach it to the side of my pen in the house? Right now, I am using a huge parrot cage for my little ones. I have put cardboard around the edges and I have a heat lamp hanging down. The chicks do not hide from it. They are all over the cage. They are eight days old and I had to remove some poop off four butts today, so I am a little worried about the heat. We live in the high desert where it is very hot and dry. Our avg temp in the house is 75 to 80. My fam cries and complains sometimes, but I like it warm. Help, please??

8. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I don't think I'd be the only one here making the observation that a heat lamp on chicks, even a week old, in a house that's already 80 is overkill, and yes, it could be contributing to pasty butt.

Since your chicks are young enough to adapt to a heating pad cave system as this thread advocates, why not ditch the heat lamp and set up a heating pad as has been discussed at great length here? It would put your worries to rest, and be so much more natural for the chicks.

9. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    X2 I couldn't agree more. Just raised my first batch of hatched from our flock this way. By week two we had ours outside in a coop. It got as cold as 36 one night they all did great and by week four I turned it off and week five it was gone. I know Azygous had her chicks outside right away. I couldn't be happier with the progress they made once the heat lamp was taken away. They feathered almost immediately.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  10. perilloux5

perilloux5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2015
    Ponchatoula, LA
    If it is 80°, they definitely do not need a heat lamp. At 80° mine were barely using the heat pad. Try it without the lamp and watch them, if they huddle togrther then they need some heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by