Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    [​IMG]

This is a closeup of chick facial massage. Blooie, and the rest of you who aren't sure how to go about taming The Wild Chick, here's what you need to do to arrive at this point. Get some meal worms. Find a clean spot on the ground in the run where just the chicks will be. If the adults are around, they'll hog all the meal worms.

Grab two fist fulls of meals worms, sit down and open your hands. The chicks will mob your lap. Do this a few more times, and they'll be conditioned to hop into your lap every time you sit down.

Let them find their comfort zone on your lap without trying to touch them or handle them. It takes a few days for them to build up trust and not fear your hands. Leave your hands in your lap with the chicks and they will get accustomed to them and not fear them.

When the chicks behave trustingly, slowly, stroke the back of the head of one, or under the chin without otherwise touching the chick. They have to warm up to it, and they'll protest at first. Just keep at it, very slowly, little bit by little bit. Soon you will be able to stroke the zone just under the eye and ear that is guaranteed to put any chicken in The Zone, and you then own them.

2. maybaby45

maybaby45 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2015
    OK my girls are 3 weeks old and in the coop for the first time tonight. No MHP at this point because there are severe thunderstorms moving through all night, lightning is crazy so I'm not willing to have the heating pad plugged in an extension cord just waiting to be struck. I'm afraid it would get the chicks. Temps should be 65 and humid so I'm thinking they should be ok all 9 huddled in the straw? Or should I wrap a couple of Hot Hands in a towel and put it in with them? They are in the huddle box, dry and fussing since it's loud and all new at night. I will say that they are all over 75% feathered at this point. Hot Hands or not?

3. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I don't think lightening is going to travel through a well grounded outlet and zap your chicks through a heating pad.

The worse hazard is using those Hot Hands. If the chicks manage to scratch though the straw and come into contact with those hot packs, they could get burned. I would use a hot water bottle if you're afraid to use a heating pad.

I've had tow power failures since using the MHP system, and a rubber hot water bottle worked great and retained the heat for hours.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    They'll be fine.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm not a chicken massager per say.....but I've also found that rubbing the ear and face area definitely calms them....some of them just 'submit' and some seem to revel in it.

6. maybaby45

maybaby45 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2015
    I've had lightening travel through extension cords before and blow the circuit in the house and the blower on the other end. I went out with some hot hands in a pillow case and all 9 were spread out in the straw sleeping. I think they will be fine. LOL

7. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    That is what I do as well, just rub under their wattles. This batch of chicks has some pretty friendly characters already. The white one will jump in my lap right away, never did give her a treat or anything. Just let her sit in the sun and gave her some love. Now I can't keep about 3-4 off of me at first. Today the white one flew and perched on my shoulder and then had a friend join her. I made them move on after they got a little carried away trying to peck my eyes, eye lashes, nose, lips and about everything else. They are mishcevious!
    [​IMG]

I thought of you after this photo as one landed on my lap with a poopy foot! I had made the mistake of wearing shorts, needless to say a shower was in order. Oh well, I got my baby chick fix for the day!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

1 person likes this.
  9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Quote: This reminds me of an old thread and an old timer that used to be on here. On the thread we established that it's just not wise to rub chickens all over your body and, in particular, not up near your eyeballs. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    :gig
    Ain't that the truth!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by