1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

[​IMG]

portal door detail

[​IMG]

When you are done you will have two doors on your crate.... The original and the new hardware cloth one inside.... You crate remains intact

deb

2. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Judging from the poop inside the MHP cave, the four chicks slept under it all night. At 5:30 am, I opened the pop hole and called them. All four shot out of the coop with a little wing action to boot. There appeared to be no hard feelings for the stress I put them through last night.

It was cool for a few hours until the sun began pouring in through the sides of the run, so I enticed them back inside the coop with meal worms tossed into the cave just to educate them that there was heat there if they needed it. I was worried they weren't going to navigate the ramp, which is three feet long, but they're racing up and down like pros already.

We were talking about "facial massages" and I just wanted to show you guys how much my chicks enjoy them, as well as lap time in general. The minute I sit down on my cushion, it's an invitation for all four to pile in. They settle in for strokes and cuddling, then end up falling asleep. The only way I can get them off my lap is to peel them off.[​IMG]They placed themselves in this arrangement on my lap with no help from me.

[​IMG]Strawberry, the Legbar, is the most intense cuddle hog of the four. A chick shuts her eyes when she's completely zoned out. All four seem to have come around to being held in my hand now.

3. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Awesome idea, Deb, because this outdoor brooder system is NOT something I plan to change. Thanks!!!!

4. ShidelsRestBB

ShidelsRestBB Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2015
    MB
    My Coop
    I went out and got the Sunbeam kingsize heating pad. Has the stay on option, and 6 heat settings.

I think that was the one that blooie had mentioned in her post. Works great. Sorry, I do not have pics.

5. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    So I moved Mamacita into our wire dog kennel into the covered run with the littles. I used press and seal on the bottom to hold the straw in, stole that from Blooie herself :D. I blocked the littles from being able to get too close to gawk. I took the cat carrier with the nest, mama and babies to the run and placed mama in the kennel first. Then I worked quickly to move the two babies and eggs under mom. Mamacita was tolerant of the move, not super thrilled but settled in. Here are some shots from her and the babies getting settled. I know there was another egg pipping as I heard I think when I was moving her.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  6. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

Beautiful chicks and mama!

Just wondering if that press and seal works for the side of the crate? Do you need press and seal or just plastic wrap?
    Thanks for any info and good luck on the rest of the hatch[​IMG]
    Marie

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Good Job!!
    That face...so stern!

8. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    I used the press n seal on the bottom and up the side just a little ways up, all on the outside of the kennel.

Thanks, she is stern, but such a good mom I am pretty tickled so far with my decision to allow her to go for it. I battled her all winter long and told her I would let her set on eggs in the spring. I think that is why she tolerated me moving her and such mid hatch, she knows we had an agreement and I held up my end of the bargain. Well at least in my human rational that is what I tell myself. When in reality she has the knack and nothing was going to deter her, not even a change of housing.

9. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I'm a little surprised the Press 'n Seal stuck to the wire of the crate! When I do it, I have hardware cloth all around the bottom of the crate to keep the Littles from escaping, and the Press 'n Seal sticks really well to that. I would have thought there were too many gaps in the wire to get a good grip! I just never fail to learn something new..... [​IMG]

Mamacita looks like she knows what she's doing! Cute cute cute!

10. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Welcome to the Genuine Imitation Broody Hen thread! You got the exact heating pad that I have! Glad it's working well for you!

azygous, you are making almost think about wanting a cuddle chick here, doggone it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by