Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

Besides the poop on their feet factor, that's another reason I don't really want my chickens crawling all over me. It hurts bad enough when I wear shorts in the coop and they try to peck my moles or any little spot off my legs. I sure don't want them pecking my eyeballs! I may not see as well as I used to, but at least I can still see! LOLOL

2. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Everyone keeps mentioning they fear poopy little feet if the chicks get on them. This is the main reason, along with my aversion to getting it on my own feet, for keeping the poop scooped.

Also, as my chicks were napping on my lap yesterday, I was just thinking that only once did one of these chicks poop on me in this entire three-week period of handling them, and that was a dry urate, easily brushed off.

It's always been my experience that chickens would rather hold it and poop while squatting on the ground. I was holding my disabled hen Flo yesterday in my tree swing and she suddenly got restless. I put her down on the ground and immediately she pooped.

Getting pooped on is the last thing anyone needs to worry about. It happens with one-week olds frequently, but after that, they seem to be more discriminating. Besides, you can anticipate it by watching for that telltale squat, signalling the intent to poop. Just remove them to the ground when you see that move.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yeah, I don't clean all the poop up from everywhere they go(and am not going to), just the roost board every couple days.

Some usually have some on their feet, always seems to be that if one drops a big wet turd it will, or one another will, immediately step in it, so I have deterred the habit of them 'roosting' on me without permission.

If I'm handling one and it's feet are clean they might get some lap time.....it's just not a priority for me, my chickens are more food than pet. If I want a cuddle, I call my pup over.

4. perilloux5

perilloux5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2015
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Funny that you mentioned that, I have yet to have one poop on me, but I am sure that it will happen. My brother picked one of them up and it immediately pooped on him.[​IMG]

5. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

its not the poo you see you have to worry about its the poo that runs down your back that you didnt know was there till you get odd looks at the Grocery store.... [​IMG]

deb "who always had some on her when she raise parakeets"

6. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh my gosh, ya'll are just hilarious! [​IMG]

Speaking of lap birds, I was out working on my coop. I decided to get my bucket and take a break in the baby pen. I'm trying to decide who's a hen and who's not, when all of a sudden up pops Gracie right on my knee. I gave her the evil eye and scooted her back on my shorts, those claws are awful.

7. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
  8. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

9. Cearbhael

Cearbhael Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    Just what exactly is "peel and stick?

10. Cearbhael

Cearbhael Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    Hey Debs, I raised parakeets too. Beautiful little budgies. But those wee hour morning feelings for the babies... Agh! I loved being momma, and I loved the baby food I got from a Macaw breeder! But I don't miss the early morning feedings. My fav budgie was a male called chirps who got early freedom due to him trying to " breakout" by squeezing through the bars. To prevent suicide by cage bars, we just left his door wide open. He became a VERY STRONG flyer. Lived way past the 8 years expected life time. Spent most of his time with me, helping me read, sharing my spaghetti (once he did a swan dive directly from my head directly into the sauce, yes, he had to have a warm soapy bath)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by