Mama hen won’t let adopted babies come out to eat.

Michellejt

Hatching
Feb 22, 2022
Hi, we have a Brody hen. Yesterday we put chicks under her. She was upset. So we didn’t take the eggs. Every time one pops it’s head out to eat she sounds angry. Otherwise happy to sit on them. They need food and water. Im not sure how to facilitate this next step. This is her first time being broody. Please help

Hi, we have a Brody hen. Yesterday we put chicks under her. She was upset. So we didn’t take the eggs. Every time one pops it’s head out to eat she sounds angry. Otherwise happy to sit on them. They need food and water. Im not sure how to facilitate this next step. This is her first time being broody. Please help
Take the hen and chicks from the nest and put them where there is food and water. Preferably in a different building or an area fenced off from the nest boxes and other chickens. Remove the eggs and block off her nest.

If possible put the nest at ground level with food and water nearby (only if the chicks can easily get in and out of the nest). Remove the eggs. This is the one I usually do.

It's possible she isn't going to accept them. Not every hen will. Some will actively hunt them out underneath, others don't do anything until the chicks are visible
Hi. I am wondering if she will reject. She definitely reacts when she sees one. But hasn’t pecked at it. The others have stayed out of sight. But I know they need water.

This is tricky because if she hatched them herself they wouldn’t need water or food for a day or two. She is probably waiting for the others to hatch so doesn’t want to take the babies off the nest yet. As long as the other eggs are there she may want to sit a bit longer.

Take the hen and chicks from the nest and put them where there is food and water. Preferably in a different building or an area fenced off from the nest boxes and other chickens. Remove the eggs and block off her nest.

If possible put the nest at ground level with food and water nearby (only if the chicks can easily get in and out of the nest). Remove the eggs. This is the one I usually do.
Thank you. She still seems broody. So she us going to have a fit. I’ve read that I should cover her with a towel to move her. I’ve also read that disputing her will cause her to abandon them. Maybe she thinks they are a day old?

Maybe you can take the chicks away, keep them in a big tub under a heat lamp and mother them yourself? Personally that is what I would do.

Back
Top Bottom