Mama kicked the chickateers loose, it's sad :(

Quote:
I think that's what my broody is doing Ranchy. She tried to teach them to roost, but when they couldn't do it yet, she went back to sleeping with them in the nest. It's like she knows what they need to learn.

I had one that was the opposite. She left them to roost on their own at about 4 weeks, on top of the nest box, while she returned to the roost. But during the day, they hung out together for another couple of weeks. Just shows that each chicken and each set of circumstances is different.

I've had some weaned at 4 weeks and others at 9 weeks. There is no set time.

sad.png
Just seems so early to me. I know, I know - each hen is different - but most of mine wait until the chicks are between 8 and 12 weeks. I am glad that Doe is still lovin' them at night. The worst is when momma pecks them on the head, and babies are like WHAT is going on?- MOM

BUT I do have two broodies who will kick their boys to the curb before the girls
hu.gif

I know the feeling of wanting to help!! You need somebody like my Lacy girl! Posted this a couple of weeks ago:

All went well for six weeks when, one day, all of a sudden, Miss Silver started pecking her chicks whenever they got near her, totally confusing them...it made me almost cry! She didn't want to be a mommy anymore!! Off to one side was Lacy, my GLW, observing this horrible act of nature and she began to slowly, hour by hour, get nearer to the two chicks, calling them softly like a mother hen. She would find bugs and worms for them and, finally, they started to respond and come running to see what goodies she had found. By the next day, they were following Lacy around like she was their mother and Lacy was basking in her new found motherhood! That night she tucked the two little ones under her wings on the roost and that's where they slept every night until they were too daggone big to fit under her anymore.

Lacy was not broody when the two chicks were with Miss Silver. I don't know what made her take over the mothering. Has anybody else had that happen?

I had a banty Polish who kicked her first brood (one chick) to the curb at 5 weeks - thank goodness another broody had chicks of similar age for the little one to hang with. After a while Mom would let the little one stay with her at night, and even let her little girl sleep with her in the nest box with her when she went broody again 2 weeks later. (!?!) However, a short time after, a mink got into the coop, and though it missed Mom in her box, it killed the chick. The brood she'd been setting on hatched 5 days later, and the Polish stuck to them like glue for FOUR months. Losing her first chick really got to her. Unfortunately, another pair a minks hit yesterday morning, and now the Polish and her second brood, along with all but one of my chickens, is gone.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom