Managing extra cockerels

Cyprus

Master of the 'never give up' attitude
Jan 19, 2018
My Coop
My Coop
I have one pullet and 3 cockerels. The pullet and 1 cockerel are the same breed, the other 2 are of a different breed.
If I want to breed purebreds from my one pair, when should I separate the other 2 cockerels? Pullet and matching cockerel are 16wks. Other cockerels are 19wks.
How do you guys manage your extra cockerels? When do you separate them; how do you house them?
Do you have any advice for me or others who ended up with more cockerels than they bargained for?

As far as separating them to ensure parentage it's usually a minimum of 10 days. I think most will wait until they are at least a year old to ensure both parents are fully matured. Some pullets take longer than others to consistently lay a healthy egg that is ideal for hatching.

Plans for unwanted cockerels will vary greatly. We had planned from the beginning to process whichever we weren't going to keep. There was a really good post and article on keeping a rooster flock on here. If you plan to keep the additional roosters I'd go with a bachelor pad for them.

Separate them not less than 3 week before you want to hatch pure breeds.

I separate ALL my boys into a stag pen/coop as soon as they are identified as male or mating antics (female chasing) begins... They stay there until they are eaten or used for breeding. I re-home (for a fee since it's taking them off my dinner table) about 5 cockerels per year to people who happen to be looking and contact me.

I even keep my breeding stags in the stag pen and swap them back and forth making sure they never spend more than a whole day away fro the other stags... in order to help maintain pecking order. Otherwise all heck breaks lose when they are returned. Standard stock yard fencing 4 foot tall separates my pastures and and E wire keeps boys on their side.

Also... I won't hatch until the pullets eggs are mature size for her breed and at least a few months after the start of lay so all hiccups have worked their kinks out of the reproductive system and give less chance of hatching deformities.

Good luck! :)

Thanks! The birds in question are all bantams.
I'm hoping to start hatching by the end of March.

Thanks! The birds in question are all bantams.
I'm hoping to start hatching by the end of March.
We eat our bantams too. :drool

It was a decision I made before hatching that I would do it in the most responsible way I could. Honestly though the last 6 I processed, 3 went to the freezer and the other 3 went to be carrion/compost. I don't like to waste life... but I had to manage MY time and do what (I felt) was in the best interest of my flock.

I keep my bantam and large fowl roosters together without issue. But I cannot afford to feed an unlimited number of cockerels/roosters long term. And frankly get enough of them going and the constant crowing even from bantams can start to get annoying... maybe even more so than large fowl because while it may be slightly lower in volume it's actually a higher (more annoying) pitch. :barnie

I'm less tolerant when exhausted at the end of the season! :oops:

The other cockerels are showbirds and will not be eaten. :)
But thanks for the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom