Mandarin ducks help please!

EmmaGRS

Songster
May 31, 2021
!!!warning, a small amount of blood below!!!
I’ve posted something similar already into the ducks forum. I purchased a pair of mandarin ducks last week, they have everything they need and more. The female keeps flying herself into the side of her pen. I know how these birds are, I know they are wild. But she wound jump up into a pale I have out there filled with straw, and just keep flying herself into it head first, over and over at once. It makes me so sad. When she’s not doing that she’s flying herself headfirst everywhere else. The male does not do this, he flies against it but stops himself with his feet. She does it so much she starts bleeding. She’s only done this once before, and then just now today. Here’s an image.
01089682-F38A-4EEB-ADDD-A57ECE2C9137.jpeg

it is not life threatening but I hate to see her do this. Is something wrong in her head? Is she just so deathly afraid? I don’t think she’s scared, she did perfectly fine up until now. She looked crazy just slamming herself into the chick wire. It hurts my heart to see her do this. Any suggestions at all at what I can do? Anything at all is appreciated. Thank you so much in advance

I replied to your other thread. You forgot to mention the dogs here, so yes, she is scared.
I don't think its advised to post the same thing in multiple forums. In the future just choose one place to post. You might not get an answer immediately in any forum that you post in, but double postings are frowned upon.

I replied to your other thread. You forgot to mention the dogs here, so yes, she is scared.
I don't think its advised to post the same thing in multiple forums. In the future just choose one place to post. You might not get an answer immediately in any forum that you post in, but double postings are frowned upon.
I didn’t know that. I was advised to post in more than one spot, as it’s related to different things. I did not mention the dogs here because I realized it’s not really them, they startle them no matter what but they go away when I tell them to. The dogs only happened once and for a couple seconds, she hadn’t been throwing herself around multiple times.

She's trying to escape. The dogs are an important part of the issue. She's most likely not happy that they are in her area. The wounds should be taken care of. I'd start with a warm saline to rinse and check her. Then apply vetrycin or neosporin. You should clip her wings. They will grow back and then next year once she's all settled, she will most likely be calmer. It takes time for them to get adjusted to their new home.
I've had posts removed when they are the same and in two different forums.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom