Marans - SOP discussion thread

I just have a quick question, and may have been covered at some point on one of the Marans threads, but on the ear tufts/coverts, I am not finding a specific listing of them on the SOP, but in the faults, it lists ear tufts of the wrong color. Can someone clarify what the right color is for sure according to what was approved when the BCMs went into the standard?

I just have a quick question, and may have been covered at some point on one of the Marans threads, but on the ear tufts/coverts, I am not finding a specific listing of them on the SOP, but in the faults, it lists ear tufts of the wrong color. Can someone clarify what the right color is for sure according to what was approved when the BCMs went into the standard?

OHHHH GOOD QUESTION!
pop.gif

Quote: On one of the Marans threads, it is spoken about in regards to melanization. The French website states that black ear feathers "tuffs", are an indicator of melanization and is to be avoided. I'm not sure if its a dq, but black is undesireable at least for breeding. I occasionally get hens with black ear tuffs,, and they are very black. Not often with a roo though.

On one of the Marans threads, it is spoken about in regards to melanization. The French website states that black ear feathers "tuffs", are an indicator of melanization and is to be avoided. I'm not sure if its a dq, but black is undesireable at least for breeding. I occasionally get hens with black ear tuffs,, and they are very black. Not often with a roo though.
Thanks Sue! I pay attention to ear tufts on the cockerals/cocks but have not paid enough attention to the pullets/hens. On the list.

Good discussion; does anyone have close-ups of ear coverts so we can compare the black versus the brown? I'll see if I have any close-up pics...sheesh, this is the best pic I could find and it's fuzzy. This was a 14 week old cockerel from someone else's line that I (obviously) culled, but you can see the brown ear coverts...though they are fuzzy!

I do not believe I have ever seen where it was printed that Ear Tufts were a DQ or fault, Just as mentioned already that you do not want to use the black in BC as breeders. The other colors of Marans should have certain colored ear Tufts also. There is a correlation with colored body markings.

Back
Top Bottom