Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Yes, we could use the rain too, and it's supposed to start tonight, and go on into the middle of next week! Not a constant rain, but possible severe stuff on Sunday. Guess I'd better get my arse out there and till today!

haha thats what im gonna do this am before work too....well at least another section of it. might have to water the ground just a bit tho....yikes. I'm just getting distracted by doing family tree research at the moment
tongue.png

Debbie that sure sounds scary I am glad you are okay. One time someone tried to kick our back door in during the middle of the night. I heard the noise and woke up dh who sleeps like a rock. I had a toddler and was preggo with #2 at the time. So really scary. I called the police while dh stood armed at the backdoor just in case the guy made it into the house. The Phx police dept got there in like 3 minutes and chased the guy through our yard and tackled him in the front. They had him out in the police car and he was actually howling like a dog. He was high on something. There was blood all over our back door too from him beating his hands on it and scuff marks from where he kicked it. He sure picked the wrong door lol. Our back door was a recycled old church door that was solid hardwood and opened out and not in. He could not kick it in, break it or the frame that held it so too bad for him. The police said he had just got out of prison for doing stuff like this before. Lucky us (not), it was totally random, never saw him before in my life. You just never know what is gonna happen...so best to always be prepared.

On a happier note, what time are you going to set your showgirl eggs?

OK here are the photos of my 4 Marans hatched from Kim's eggs. They are 3 & 4 days old.

They are too cute!
Here's what I think they are.....#1 pullet
#2 cockerel
#3 pullet
#4 cockerel

Man o man....wouldya look at the fuzz on the shanks of that last one? Nice!
I am glad the pullet eggs hatched for you. I have been having great luck with her eggs. Can't wait to see what color eggs her kiddo's will lay.

Oh and if you don't want that little Splash .........you can always ship her back this direction.
love.gif

Forgot to mention other things to look at on them for sexing.......note the dark toes on #1 and #3 and see how the #2 and #4 have lighter fleshy colored looking toes.....I notice this is pretty consistant in my birds as well as the wing feather sexing traits. :)

Last edited:
Debbi~
I am sooo glad you and your neighbor are okay. How scary!
hugs.gif

Remember the hostage situation we had with our neighbor a couple years ago.......it still lingers with me and leaves me on edge just thinking about it.

I think the last 3 are roos
hide.gif
sorry.... we will see in a couple of weeks.

lol.png
You are probably very right.....but I have to think that the Splash is a girl simply because of the length of the secondaries and the toe color. She is also already getting in some tail pins and this is something that my males do not get this early on.
Notice the other 2 - #2 and #4 have noticeably shorter secondaries. #1 and #3 have pretty even secondaries and primaries. :)

Last edited:
lol.png
You are probably very right.....but I have to think that the Splash is a girl simply because of the length of the secondaries and the toe color.
Notice the other 2 - #2 and #4 have noticeably shorter secondaries. #1 and #3 have pretty even secondaries and primaries. :)
if it makes you feel any better, I think the splash is a pullet as well.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom