Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

How many varieties are recognized at the APA shows? My little boy wants to take his hen at the next show. She is a blue.
Only Black Coppers and Wheatens are recognized by the APA at this time. If your little boy wants to take his hen to the next show, load her up and have a ball. Blues and Blue Coppers are not recognized by the APA, but they can still show.

We show all of the other varieties under Proposed Standards. They can show and win Best of Variety or Reserve Best of Variety, but they cannot compete for Best of Breed. Since they can't be Best of Breed, they can't be Best Continental or Reserve Best Continental and advance on to Champion Row.

To make it simple Best of Variety or Reserve Best of Variety is the highest award that any of the varieties other than Black Coppers and Wheatens can win.

Good Luck,
Ernie Haire
Arp, Texas
www.Marans2XL.com

Yes, did you think I was saying to breed him in a Marans program? That is not, of course, what I said nor would I keep a bird like this in my Marans programs. I don't consider an olive egger program a Marans program. It's an olive egger program. I'm not sure how to take your comment unless you were merely agreeing??? I typically tend to avoid this thread because it's so confrontational.
idunno.gif
I had no intention of irritating you with my answer.

Thank you, Pinkchick! She's grown a little since that photo. She's such a nice girl. My daughter and I are also looking for a Marans 'fella' for her this spring! What would happen if we bought a Cuckoo Marans for her? We may have the opportunity to get one locally soon.
If you breed her to a regular Cuckoo Marans you will get 100% blue chicks that are of a mixed Marans varieties. All of the offspring will be barred. :)

Thank you pinkchick!
I'm thankful to have the resource of information that BYC forums supplies.
My plans for a Cuckoo Rooster recently fell through, but
as spring rolls around, new opportunities will present themselves for a mate for Chick-Chick I'm sure.

Thank you pinkchick!
I'm thankful to have the resource of information that BYC forums supplies.
My plans for a Cuckoo Rooster recently fell through, but
as spring rolls around, new opportunities will present themselves for a mate for Chick-Chick I'm sure.
What a cheery attitude you have - it's wonderful!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom