Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

HI....

I'm new to the site and I'm interested in Marans and dark brown egg layers, plus rare breeds. Do you sell them? I have twenty hens and a few roosters....Rhode Islands, Americans, Wyandottes, Barred Rocks, and Cochin Bantams. I would like to look into the rarer breeds but I'm new. What should I look for? Thanks!

So excited! Today I bought some BEAUTIFUL Black Copper Marans from a guy that was decreasing his flock die to health issues. (His, not the chickens) he used to show his birds and told me that his eggs won 2nd place in a national competition. Could have been blowing smoke up my rear but I don't care lol I'll have to get pics. They're my new favorites.

Baby pics for DMRippy: Brother & sister Chasing them all over trying to get pics with a digital camera...argh!!!!!!!!!! He is looking very nice ! Excuse the mud...and the birds are after worms.......... Isn't he cute ?!!!!!!!!!
love.gif
Me :love !!!!!! Mud????? Surely we don't have any mud here in the lovely rainy Pacific Northwest! ;)

So, the incubator count went up another 60 eggs today :oops: These black birchen babies came home with me today from the sale. Sorry about the wash out on the eggs. I couldn't find a happy medium between the overhead light and flash, but think they are not half bad eggs for birchens! Some of them are very round as well. These are from the same guy I bought those black birchen pullets you liked so well Don. He said he was collecting eggs from all of his birchens, including hens out of cycle, so am willing to cull for body type first, then see what the pullets lay from the hatch. I'll be keeping careful records, but its still exciting to think of the prospects. The darkest ones match up with the 6 on the egg chart, so am willing to work with these eggs, never know what might happen
Nice! Good hatching vibes coming to you Ms. Vicki!

I thought maybe I would share my little Missy America.
She is having a bad hair day and is feeling a bit gangly and awkward these days, LOL!

She will be 1 month old on the 23rd. By the size and length of those gams....me thinks she is going to be a very large bird. :)

Raven~ Your 3 little girls are doing wonderful! I will get updated photo's of them for you! They are still very very sweet and friendly and feathering in pretty rapidly.

Well....old faithful, my 4 year old Splash Copper, Darryl has done gone broody again. She will be getting a dozen eggs that I have collected from the Betty-z for my bestfriend.

Here are Darryl's eggs for the last few days before she went broody.......the purplish one in the center and the 2 on the right of it. The other 3 are coming from my Blue Copper gal, she is starting to lighten up as well. I hope she doesn't go broody too.
Don't mind the goose egg, but it sure is a whopper, isn't it? It's her biggest egg yet, well I should say heaviest egg yet, weighs in at 358.4 grams. :)

Back
Top Bottom