Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I believe he is a Blue Copper.....just a very light blue. Splash should not allow that much copper to come through so completely like it is, normally the copper on a Splash will be interrupted. With Splash the copper would come through like this male photo'd below. However, I will say that I have seen Splash Copper males have some copper in the wing bow that is not interrupted.

Here is another Splash Copper male, notice the red in the wing bow that is a pretty solid color and is not interrupted.
Another good indicator when trying to determine blue versus splash is that splash will more likely have white or a definite blue toned leg and blues more than likely will have a slate leg. Its not always true, but more times than not in my experience raising different breeds of blues including the Marans

mornin Kim! Have you gotten the seeds yet? I sent a letter out the same day to another friend on the west coast and she still hasn't gotten it either. I'm wondering if they got lost if you haven't gotten them either. I've had several letters go missing in the last year since the post master changed.
The chicks I swear have double in size in the last four days, I can't believe how stocky they are. If this streak of nice weather holds up they will be ready to get outside asap. I just have to finish the new grow out pen that is up off the ground a ways to protect the chickers. Then in about 19 1/2 days I'll have more babers filling up the hatcher again. I can't wait!

Was just going to tell you that I have not received them yet as of yesterdays mail.

Oh and beautiful eggs you posted......just beautiful! Would you hurry up and get your birds where you want them so you can share. ;) :D

Thanks Garett! I should have kept the first rooster photo'd just because I liked his coloring so much but he was a meanie.

Vicki~ That male photo'd second was Gnarles' brother from the same hatch of birds that I got from Phyllis Eide. He is the only one I have seen with the more white-ish toned legs, but the under the skin was pale pale blueish. I didn't use him for anything, should have kept him and test mated him to see what he would throw, but thought I was better off with Gnarles because I wanted to focus on blue only.......shoulda, coulda, woulda.............................:lol:

Morning Don! Hope you are doing great!

How are those chicks coming along?
Hi Kim, Done with treatment . We have little over 100 chicks all together. The welsummer were not fertile as I believe the male is about 5 year old. might try one more batch of eggs just to be sure.
My son bought six dozen Marans eggs from six different people to do a study with and they are even worse when I started 6 year ago. We are planning on growing them all out and documenting a few things as we go along. The eggs from Lisa Olson hatch this weekend and I look forward to these chicks.

Glad to hear that you are done with treatments. I continue to send positive thoughts your way.

You say worse than what you started out with 6 years ago....WOW!!!!!!! How sad! I hope you have great luck with the eggs from Lisa.
I can hardly wait to see the photos of the birds that you are going to grow out, so we can see the mess.
I can't believe some of the birds that have hatched from "good breeders" eggs that I have purchased and hatched out here over the last 3 years or so............I should have never never got them, but was curious. Glad I culled everything as hard as I did.

Seeing some very promising youngins in the brooder even though they are still very young. The tone of blue is a bit darker on some than I was hoping for but the edging is great. I have my hopes up for good colored birds out of the ones that are a lighter tone of blue. Now keep your fingers crossed for some copper on the pullets for me. :)

Was just going to tell you that I have not received them yet as of yesterdays mail.

Oh and beautiful eggs you posted......just beautiful! Would you hurry up and get your birds where you want them so you can share.
wink.png
big_smile.png
Grr, I was afraid of that, I will get another batch out to you. Good thing I have plenty of seeds!

I'm working as hard as I can on the birds! Egg color is one of the things I need more consistency across the board on, but the progress I saw from last year tells me I'm getting on the right track. Just want to make sure I'm putting out a quality product when I finally am ready to let a few go.

Thanks Garett! I should have kept the first rooster photo'd just because I liked his coloring so much but he was a meanie.

Vicki~ That male photo'd second was Gnarles' brother from the same hatch of birds that I got from Phyllis Eide. He is the only one I have seen with the more white-ish toned legs, but the under the skin was pale pale blueish. I didn't use him for anything, should have kept him and test mated him to see what he would throw, but thought I was better off with Gnarles because I wanted to focus on blue only.......shoulda, coulda, woulda.............................
lol.png
yeah, I hate those kinds of regrets, but you have the material there to produce another splash, so not all is lost.

Back
Top Bottom