Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Who all is planning on going to the Shawnee, OK show on Dec 14th? I would love to go, but with the new job, am not sure I can pull it off, but would love to see photos from anyone that does go

The reason the Cuckoos were not accepted was more because they were not consistent. All that I saw at Newnan last year had acceptable Cuckoo pattern, but there was too large of a range in type - even in size. I think, in an effort to show how many folks were working with them, several "bigtime" breeders entered many that should not have been entered just to get the number of entries up, but I don't know this for sure - that's just what my own personal observation was.

There is a thread for Cuckoos, but this is a general Marans thread too

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/495365/lets-talk-cuckoo-and-white-marans-breeding-strategies

First off your roo looks Birchen and Cuckoos should not look birchen. It is common in cuckoos that maybe be one reason they were passed over for APA Acceptance. Cuckoo's should be an even barring pattern like Barred Rocks no areas whiter than others. Cuckoo is a faster pattern gene than barring should be. Barreds should be straight across and not v shaped and cuckoo fades to gray then white then gray then black. Barring in BR is an on off gene black and white no gray.

Your roo will have gold leakage you will have to deal with and that is not easy. Second your roo only has a single copy of the barring genes and will not breed true. I personally would not breed him.

I have been reading through some of these marans threads and it is my understanding that there is no SOP for cuckoo marans. I respect your assessment of my young rooster, but, with no SOP I don't know how anyone determines what is right or wrong? Thanks for your input.

There is a draft Cuckoo color Standard proposed by the Marans Chicken Club USA that the club is working from. It is like other Cuckoo varieties already approved by the APA, such as Dominiques, Cuckoo Cochins, etc. The color pattern is the same no matter which variety you're working with, only the type varies from breed to breed.

Thanks, Ripster, I wasn't sure if I was describing correctly.

Rocky Rhodes - even though the standard for Cuckoo has not been approved, the TYPE for the Marans has been approved via the Black Copper and Wheaten standards. The TYPE (conformation/shape) of ALL Marans varieties is the same - the color standards will be different, but the type for all varieties (colors/patterns) is the same.

I have been breeding them for years and following the advise of people in the know. As ripster said cuckoo marans are not the first cuckoos in the standard.

Can someone tell me what type of Marans this is? Thx.

I know this is probably posted somewhere but I can't find it.....is there a standard to shoot for in regards to egg color? Specifically, speckles or no speckles? I get a variety and want to narrow things down to the ideal color.

I know this is probably posted somewhere but I can't find it.....is there a standard to shoot for in regards to egg color? Specifically, speckles or no speckles? I get a variety and want to narrow things down to the ideal color.
I don't know if there are really any rules.....but of that selection the bottom middle would be my pick. round eggs a nice even color and I like the satin eggs....not too glossy or too matte.

It has always been my understanding that the eggs with spots are normally lighter on the egg scale that the eggs with no specks. This has always been true with my Marans.

Back
Top Bottom