Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I swear I read on here that they get darker.
idunno.gif
Shows you how much I know about Marans at this time.
hide.gif
I have had some hens that laid progressively darker up to a point. My BCM Cheepa does that and so do a few of her really dark laying daughters and grand daughters etc. Then after a while of laying they go back to a little lighter of a color (but not much lighter lol).
For most of our Marans hens it will usually start out fairly dark and gradually lightens a shade or so. I think it just depends on your stock.

I noticed one of my BCM pullets has a muff/beard. That's the only thing different from my other BCMs. Any ideas?

My Black Copper Marans Juveniles are pecking the feathers off of their feet and legs.  I don't know if they pecked each others feathers or their own. The rest of their feathers are fine.  I have two cockerels and one pullet.

I have seen our juveniles pecking their own feet feathers out! Why on earth would they do this. We feed Purina Flock Raiser which is high in protein and they free range a bit too so they can eat Grass and we give fresh fruit and veggie treats several times a week. Plus some dried meal worm treats too.

I have to brag! My 5year olds BCM won reserve standard at her county fair! Thank you Runawaylobster for the high quality eggs!

Congratulations!
He looks like a very handsome boy, with a sweet personality. That is a precious photo of the two of them.

Runawaylobster- He's gorgeous- you did a great job.

Back
Top Bottom