Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone! It's been a couple days (sorry I'm a little slow!) But this little one made it into the world safe and sound :) to me, it looks like a pullet and "she'll" need a name. Any good suggestions? Also, the breeder feels bad that only one egg hatched for me and said that she may send me some more eggs :)
I've been lurking and keeping my fingers crossed for you. Yeah! What about Kellen as a name? Good for pullet or cockerel, Irish name which means warrior. Also, I've had only 1 hatch two different times and I've found that it is hard to keep them warm enough w/o hatch mates, even with heat lamp. I ended up buying a couple buff orpies from the feed store to keep company. Good luck.
That name fits too, plus it's Irish for st. Patrick's day :)

I've been lurking and keeping my fingers crossed for you. Yeah! What about Kellen as a name? Good for pullet or cockerel, Irish name which means warrior. Also, I've had only 1 hatch two different times and I've found that it is hard to keep them warm enough w/o hatch mates, even with heat lamp. I ended up buying a couple buff orpies from the feed store to keep company. Good luck.

thankfully, I have a brooder full of one and two week olds that she's content with :) Kellen is a good suggestion but I used to have a best friend named Kelly so that would be too weird lol. I think I'm sticking with Mocha this time around ;) hopefully it won't be long til I get more eggs and hopefully a better hatch rate! My own eggs hatch at 90-95%

Does anyone breed Blue Copper Marans and is shipping eggs yet? My mother and I have been looking for this variety for quite some time with no luck, so thought I would try here. We are willing to pay as much as needed for quality stock, and the darker the eggs, the better! Thank you!!!
big_smile.png
Dear Aught to be
I can send you some Blue Copper Marans eggs
They are a lighter blue than the blue looks in the photo They lay eggs almost as dark as my BCMs They have nice leg feathering and the hens have very little or no Copper in the hackles. How many eggs are you interested in?.

I am getting a gqf 1502 in May. I will be needing blue, wheaten, and cuckoo Marans hatching eggs. I want quality. If you will have any of these please pm me before May. Thanks in advance

I can see the comb on the hen better now. It is funky, but not a pea comb. They look blue copper to me. If you hatch chicks from them, you should get blue, black and splash. If you get anything else, you'll know there is a mix of something else in their background.

Thanks. Stinker, the hen is also a bantam so... That could be a reason they look different as far as the copper on the rooster I thought blue coppers were supposed to have copper he looks like most pictures I have seen of them. And wouldn't a mix not lay dark eggs?

Thanks. Stinker, the hen is also a bantam so... That could be a reason they look different as far as the copper on the rooster I thought blue coppers were supposed to have copper he looks like most pictures I have seen of them.And wouldn't a mix not lay dark eggs?

not necessarily. My brahma/marans cross actually lays a darker egg than my pure Marans hen :/

Hmm...looks like I am contacting the breeder I got them from a year ago. They have light feathers on their legs and white legs as well as white skin, so I never once questioned it. Kind of scared to post my non-pea combed full blooded Wyandottes on this site now. No two chickens are the same any way. I don't believe there's a possibility that they are mixed. When we got them she had Marans (black copper, blue copper, cuckoo, and splash ) , Wyandottes (Silver lace, gold lace, splash), silkies (black, white, blue, buff, partridge), and cochins(buff, black and blue).i have two blue cochins, the two Marans, and Silver lace Wyandottes from her. I had previously gotten silkies but coyotes got my last rooster. So I may be wrong but I am just not seeing it as mixed.

Back
Top Bottom