Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

If you ever get bored and need a laugh, go to Ebay and search for Marans eggs.

Some current listings that make me roll my eyes:

People selling "show quality eggs"

People listing BCM's as "very rare"

And several very mysterious listings of "Black Copper Marans white mutants". Whatever that means.

Probably recessive white.

Where are you hoping to go on the Big island Ihilani Coffee? I lived there for about three years in Waimea. If you want to make money find Jackson chameleons. Theres hundreds of them and they bring in great money. Also can anyone answer my question about Birchen Marans? If you can I would be ever so thankful. Thank you

Where are you hoping to go on the Big island Ihilani Coffee?  I lived there for about three years in Waimea.  If you want to make money find Jackson chameleons.  Theres hundreds of them and they bring in great money.  Also can anyone answer my question about Birchen Marans?  If you can I would be ever so thankful.  Thank you

I think you're asking about darkest egg layers? The BCMs should lay the darkest. I have Black Coppers, Blue Coppers and Golden Cuckoos, of those, my Black Coppers lay the darkest by far with some of the young hens giving me 8s typically and an occasional 9 by the club's chart. My GCM pullets lay the next darkest, followed by the blue copper hens, and my lightest are my older GCM girls.

Quote:
My BCM lady's are producing really dark egg's but I would say a solid 7 but just pullets my first year with them and always with darker spots all over the egg which I really enjoy .
D.gif

Thank you for the information. But what is this chart that you are referring to? I was also told that Marans lay darker eggs as they get older. Is this true only for black copper marans or is it true for everything? Thank you again for all this wonderful information!

Thank you for the information.  But what is this chart that you are referring to?  I was also told that Marans lay darker eggs as they get older.  Is this true only for black copper marans or is it true for everything?  Thank you again for all this wonderful information!

The Marans of America Club has a chart with egg colors 4 through 9. I punch a little hole in the middle of each color to compare my eggs to the chart. If you go to the club's website you can order a card, I don't think you have to be a member.

Where are you hoping to go on the Big island Ihilani Coffee? I lived there for about three years in Waimea. If you want to make money find Jackson chameleons. Theres hundreds of them and they bring in great money. Also can anyone answer my question about Birchen Marans? If you can I would be ever so thankful. Thank you
We have land in Puna. We're 4 years into the 5 year plan and will be there within a year, God(dess) willing and Kilauea staying steady!

Cool, Ihilani coffee! I have a question though. are you going to any poultry swaps in October? If you are I am probably vending there and I am interested in some Isbars and some black copper marans if any will be available. I think its in Corvallis. Thank you for the information, ChuskaMtns.

Cool, Ihilani coffee! I have a question though. are you going to any poultry swaps in October? If you are I am probably vending there and I am interested in some Isbars and some black copper marans if any will be available. I think its in Corvallis. Thank you for the information, ChuskaMtns.
Yes, we will be at Chickenstock in August in Brownsville and Corvallis in October. After the HPAI outbreak earlier this year we have closed the farm to any visits. Due to biosecurity concerns, we are only bringing presold birds as we would not bring any home after being at a swap all day. Prepurchased birds can be left in the trailer for pick up if buyers don't want them brought into the swap environment. PM to prepurchase, letting us know age and numbers of each breed.

Back
Top Bottom