Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I finally got a good pic of Dotie my cuckoo maran

65047_dotie_003.jpg

She is smart, shy, and quiet - a real sweetie
love.gif

I will need to take some for you! They are really nice! Us full time farmers never get all the photos done....If I don't have some up by Monday, please pm me! I've got some major farm work and visitors going on this weekend and then Sunday church acitivities....Good to see you here! Nancy

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi

Yes, I am developing a line of black Marans. I lost my rooster but have a young one which should be ready to breed when the birds start to lay again. The black pullet that you have is probably a black copper carrying a melanotic gene that covers the gold.

Bev

i have really enjoyed my marans i got them from a local breeder, there were alot of roos in the bunch one has turned out to be very special hes friendly even brings me treats bugs and such,im afraid as far as breeding standards go others whove seen him tell me hes not up to par because of his yellow legs,his name is maximillion,one of the hens her name is ruby is also quite friendly her legs are white,no eggs yet i got them about seven months ago hope to see eggs anyday, what is the feeling on cuckoo marans and yellow feet?

Quote:
Are yours JUST starting to slow down ? ? ? ?

Mine have been slow for 2 months now - - - they don't seem to like temps in the 90s and 100s.
I am averaging one egg a day per three hens. OMG - - -only with the Marans too.

My EE, leghorns, and wyandotte are doing just fine - - - almost one every day from each hen !
I hope the Marans make up for it when it is 30 - 40 F outside !

Quote:
No matter the quality of a bird, if I had a roo who brought me special treats - - - I would have to keep him ! That is just too sweet !

I have a few birds that I will never breed, but they are so delightful in their personality that they will be kept a long time.
I've had others that were great looking birds, but nasty personalities and they didn't get to stay very long!

"what is the feeling on cuckoo marans and yellow feet?"

Most likely, your "Cuckoo Marans" is a Barred Rock if it has yellow feet and legs..

Back
Top Bottom