Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Update on the BCM pullet with the white feathers. While taking these pics I remembered that one of my BCMs was injured a couple of months ago. She was a little lame on one leg and was a bit battered. This must have been that bird. I could have sworn she had NO white after juvie molt so that may explain it.

Does this look like damaged feathers or does it look genetic?

fluff
IMG_4676.JPG

Underside of tail
IMG_4674.JPG

Topside of tail
IMG_4672.JPG

Back under wing
IMG_4670.JPG

IMG_4668.JPG

Wing
IMG_4669.JPG

And some conformation pictures
IMG_4667.JPG

IMG_4664.JPG

IMG_4680.JPG

IMG_4678.JPG

Thank you Mel, can one laugh and cry at the same time???? Just kiddin, lookin forward to the PNW great adventure and most of all the wonderful chickie folks in the region!!

Rsquared, Medford is a LOT different temperature wise than even near Salem (half way up the western side of the state) in that Medford has more of NoCA weather in that its hotter, sunnier during the summer and actually gets snow quite often. Given its in western OR you have the mountains all around Medford and lots of great skiing too!

Medford is a short lovely drive to Crater Lake, one of the most beautiful lakes as well as the deepest in the USA (deepest one is in Siberia, Lake Baikal) so welcome to Oregon!

Quote:
Thank you Seabreeze, our home is actually on the Rogue right off Crater Lake Hwy, we will make time for a Crater Lake visit after settling in and of course getting my Marans situated, this is the Marans thread right?!!!
tongue.png
One thing I have noticed about the state is the many microclimates that exist. Re the snow, after living south of Denver for 16 years, a little bit here and there is now big deal as long as I'm not shoveling feet of snow. Anticipating the best from Oregon, though old enough to struggle with change:) By the way, very nice dogs you have there. Went to your website and looked at what was available for adoption, they were gorgeous, though we will probably target a Great Pyraneese? sp as I think we will be doing Alpacas along with my Marans/Wellies and Amers and need a guardian as we are in a documented Cougar/Bear area.
If you have any contacts, that would be appreciated. Regards

I was just down in the Rogue last weekend judging an Australian shepherd ASCA specialty
cool.png

Its about a 3.5-4 hour drive and I'm near Albany where the first poultry swap meet was held. We also have Marans, LOTS of them
ep.gif

As to the TM handling predators, they are first rate; there is a TM breeder right there in Rogue who has first hand success with their TM guarding their goats from cougar (and their other livestock).

My best predator control dog is my 5 yr old CH male and he is the guardian of the flocks and the main flock lives close to his *deck* and the main flock are Marans. He and the Marans roosters get along very well also. Its fun to watch him watch to make sure the roos take care of their hens when *sky predators* fly over. My Marans hens actually look to Mugz if their roo is off romancing the small barn flocks!

Mornin' all
frow.gif

Storms never showed up here yesterday, thankfully. More coming today though. It was so hot & humid yesterday, that you'd break a sweat just standing there. Smart chickens go under the deck for the better part of the day, but Pip prefers the front porch and hangs out with the cats.

Pink Nice ladies there! The favorite of yours looks just like my Charlotte. Mine are 11+ weeks now, and her copper is starting to bleed through. Don't think she'll have much, but it's there. JR's is in and lovely! Myrtle's (who is now Myron
rant.gif
) has some too. Olivia is still black as pitch, as is Billie. I still think your boy is a Splash Birchen!
big_smile.png
I did manage to count JR's comb points the other day, and it was not good. 8 points, with a little one inbetween like you described in your post. Not to mention the thing going on with the blade. Dang it!!! He is so pretty otherwise, makes me want to do a comb-ectomy...
gig.gif

Sooo - how much of a sin is a comb sprig for breeding? (I know it is a DQ)

I have a splash boy coming up that is just beautiful....you know - the kind of bird who just draws your eye?

He's only 7 weeks old, but has a nice shape and gorgeous feathering on his feet.

BUT - he has a definite side sprig.

I'm thinking he's a total N-O, but it sure is a bummer!!

Quote:
Morning Debbi! Stay safe! I hope the storms just blow over today as well.
fl.gif
I see some TINY little spots of blue in the clouds here this morning, but, I'm not holding my breath that it won't rain. I did hear that this weekend is suppose to in the 70's 'round here. In the 70's????? I think I shall faint when I see it.
th.gif

Thanks on the girls....the little one is the one that has 4 copper feathers on her hackle that she has had since she got her first feathers. She is a doll, her egg color will determine if she stays. I think the other gals are sounding like your Charlotte and possibly they won't have much copper, but atleast they will have some and I am good with that.....I just need to know it's there and off I go.
I also have a very dark, almost jet black gal too. I have a photo of her that I will post when I post close up's of Dale. Dale has too many points as well but he doesn't have the anything sticking out or there that is a problem for me. I can work with his comb. I just don't know if I want to work with his feather stub in between the toe.
As for JR...I'm glad he is beautiful but I am not glad about his comb....but my friend, someone will love him as just a nice rooster for their flock. Or when he is old enough you can rent him some space in the freezer. These birds are fabulous meat birds....too bad they take so long to grow out and beef up.
wink.png

Quote:
Hi Cadeau!
It's a total no no for breeding as it will pass on......sorry, let me clarify.....it's a total no no if you are breeding for showing or to standard, if you are breeding just to have beautiful backyard layers of the worlds most beautiful eggs....it doesn't matter.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom