Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Quote:
Ditto. I would think if one really WAS showing their poultry, they would know the breed standard AND the correct name, especially the fact that Marans ALWAYS has an "s".
hmm.png

Amen, sista!!

Quote:
I agree!! I think some of these folks take their birds to the local fair, get a participation ribbon, and call it a "show bird". I really loved the spelling of the people who stole Bev Davis' roo's pic on ebay. They were selling "Black Cooper Mariains"
gig.gif

LOL! Black Copper Martians would be a hoot too! I'd love to see those!
smile.png

A while back, didn't someone post a eBay auction for some strange derivative of a BCM? I can't remember it now but I remember seeing it and thinking "WTH?!?" LOL

Quote:
Do not know who you bought these mixed Marans from but would contact them and ask them where the VULTURE hocks came from. Marans do not have Vulture Hocks.

So I guess the PICTURE WELCOME at the top are not really welcome. It should say something like ONLY IF IT MEETS SOP. Thanks for your time!

Donna,

Please don't take offense to this! Don is well known for his strict and critical eye
wink.png
, and THANK GOD for people like him! Without critisisms, we can't help each other better our birds, and the breed as a whole. We love pics of everybody's birds, they are all beautiful! Some want to show, some want to breed towards the SOP, and some just want to have beautiful birds that lay those gorgeous eggs! It's all good! For those just wanting to share pics of their flock, you might want to add something like, "just sharing" or "no critique wanted". For those who do want the critical eye to speak up, you might say, "let me have it!" or "tell me what you think". There is still so much to learn about this breed and all the goofed up genetics behind it. When we share the good and the bad, we all learn. Still learning here, and hope you will stick around with us!
hugs.gif

Hi there! I was excited to see the Marans so far up on the thread. I came across a breeder who has several young hens for sale, and was thinking of adding a few of them to my flock. I cannot seem to find too much info about them.

My main concerns...do they get along well with RIR's? And are the friendly towards people? I think my single little hen is becoming too dependent on us people as her "flock". Thanks!

Quote:
I agree!! I think some of these folks take their birds to the local fair, get a participation ribbon, and call it a "show bird". I really loved the spelling of the people who stole Bev Davis' roo's pic on ebay. They were selling "Black Cooper Mariains"
gig.gif

LOL! Black Copper Martians would be a hoot too! I'd love to see those!
smile.png

A while back, didn't someone post a eBay auction for some strange derivative of a BCM? I can't remember it now but I remember seeing it and thinking "WTH?!?" LOL

That might've been me with the Mariains, lol. There was another one on ebay touting, "Black Coppers and Copper Tops". WTH???? When I finally looked at their pics, the Copper Tops ended up being melanistic roos, with the very dark mahogany hackles, and no other colors! Copper Top indeed!
lol.png

I was at a show this past weekend - judged by an APA judge. Some of the "purists" at the show were less than thrilled with the results because many of the birds that won had qualities that are official DQs. (They were the only entries in the class.) I was told the judging is "modified" because the show was at a fair and most of the entries were young folks. I know it's a fair AND it's kids but it seems to me that we aren't setting things up right. I know one of the young fellows that cleaned up at the show with mostly what should be DQ representatives of their breeds plans to go into poultry for a living and he is selling his birds as "purebred" and show winners. Shouldn't he be learning now how to improve his birds?

Last edited:
Quote:
Well said.
I am just starting with two breeds of birds that I really want to establish. I am trying still just to get enough chicks hatched to even begin to think about breeding them. I am still trying to learn and understand all I can about these particular breeds.
It can be a little intimidating to have pics critiqued when you are just starting. It feels like a sting even though it was not meant that way I am sure. (hasn't happened to me on marans thread....yet)
I hope Donna sticks around too! She is further along than I am... I only have one marans chick so far! lol

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

I think the friendliness factor has a lot to do with how they are raised and how much they are handled. My Marans are very friendly birds - to humans and the other chickens. I'm not terribly experienced with Marans, however, so I'm curious to hear how other people respond to your question.

Quote:
The biggest sting HAS to be proudly posting those "Americana" pictures only to be informed that you have Easter Eggers and its "AMERAUCANA" !!!
wink.png
I can live with less than perfect, even ugly Marans!!!!
tongue.png

Quote:
I apologize if I have offended you. It is just that you came to the board advertising birds for sale and you don't have the basic knowledge on the breed. IMO, selling stock as show quality when it really isn't is only undermining the Marans breed. There are so many individuals on here that are bending over backwards to breed to the SOP that still don't sell their birds because they don't feel they are good enough yet.

Back
Top Bottom