Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Thanks, Mel! The longer the better to an extent. Don't want to overdo it to where their frame can't carry everything. Yeah, you get some extra loin cuts out of 'em. Our place here dates back to my grandfather and has been handed down, so my brother lives there and we run our small herd on the place.

Oh, and please call me Slick. There no need for formalities here.
wink.png

Quote:
I've been using Clairol Shimmer lights, it's for us grey haired ladies, can be found at a good beauty supply store. And it smells fantastic! I use on both black and white birds.
It has a purple tint to it, but won't turn old-lady-blue. I use it for the second lather up, as it is a little more expensive than dawn. My last 16 oz bottle was $8.49
Let me know if you like it, Roberta

hmmm....never heard of it... so, you mention using it as a second lather up. what's your whole washing process and what all do you use?

I have only shown 1 bird until now, so as far as a routine, I know I'm gonna kick myself this week when I bring 10 birds.
Today I went over everyones toenails and beaks. If they need to be trimmed, do it ahead of time, so they aren't bleeding all over the place.
I've been cutting toenails for over 40 years, and there is ALWAYS blood, no matter how careful I am.
Then the nailfile. Freshly cut nails are pointy. We don't want to make the judges bleed. And the spurs, too. Nice and blunt.
And then I put Neosporin on all the combs and wattles, to moisturize whatever scabs are on the roos faces, and on the scales on the legs.
When I wash a bird, first thing I do is saturate whatever is filthy, so it cleans up better. This year, I have some feather legged birds. Boy, they are nasty with the rain we have been having lately.
I have heard about soaps with the "bleach alternative", haven't used them yet... But I have 3 splash birds this time, so that would be the first lather.
I make sure the head is wet, but try not to get soap in everything (eyes, nose, ears)
I would actually use a light colored washcloth, and scrub the head and face with minimal soap.
It needs to be clean, but sometimes they just won't cooperate, especially with soap in their eyes.
Then my blue shampoo for the 2nd wash. Leave it on for a while so it works.
I have heard ablout vinegar in the rinse, but haven't used it.
Now to dry 10 birds. This is almost as nuts as loading 22 chickens in the back of my VW for the fair.
I think I'm gonna have my hands full come Saturday.
fl.gif

Quote:
hmmm....never heard of it... so, you mention using it as a second lather up. what's your whole washing process and what all do you use?

I have only shown 1 bird until now, so as far as a routine, I know I'm gonna kick myself this week when I bring 10 birds.
Today I went over everyones toenails and beaks. If they need to be trimmed, do it ahead of time, so they aren't bleeding all over the place.
I've been cutting toenails for over 40 years, and there is ALWAYS blood, no matter how careful I am.
Then the nailfile. Freshly cut nails are pointy. We don't want to make the judges bleed. And the spurs, too. Nice and blunt.
And then I put Neosporin on all the combs and wattles, to moisturize whatever scabs are on the roos faces, and on the scales on the legs.
When I wash a bird, first thing I do is saturate whatever is filthy, so it cleans up better. This year, I have some feather legged birds. Boy, they are nasty with the rain we have been having lately.
I have heard about soaps with the "bleach alternative", haven't used them yet... But I have 3 splash birds this time, so that would be the first lather.
I make sure the head is wet, but try not to get soap in everything (eyes, nose, ears)
I would actually use a light colored washcloth, and scrub the head and face with minimal soap.
It needs to be clean, but sometimes they just won't cooperate, especially with soap in their eyes.
Then my blue shampoo for the 2nd wash. Leave it on for a while so it works.
I have heard ablout vinegar in the rinse, but haven't used it.
Now to dry 10 birds. This is almost as nuts as loading 22 chickens in the back of my VW for the fair.
I think I'm gonna have my hands full come Saturday.
fl.gif

Good luck getting everyone ready and getting to the show! You'll do great! I was mostly curious about your washing process...such as how many washes and rinses and what you use. I don't know how I feel about the bleach alternative stuff either. I used to show a ton when I was younger, but so many of the products have changed and I'm trying to get a feel for what people are doing now. I am right there with ya on the week before the show up til the show being crazy. That's why I'm trying to get all my supplies ready now and am heading out here in a few minutes to finalize my entries to get the forms in this week before the deadline. I can't wait to be showing again!
I hope you will keep us posted on how you did! and photos if possible!
smile.png

Quote:
I've been using Clairol Shimmer lights, it's for us grey haired ladies, can be found at a good beauty supply store. And it smells fantastic! I use on both black and white birds.
It has a purple tint to it, but won't turn old-lady-blue. I use it for the second lather up, as it is a little more expensive than dawn. My last 16 oz bottle was $8.49
Let me know if you like it, Roberta

I place them higher if they smell fantastic.......hahahaha

yuckyuck.gif

Just what is the proper procedure for a judge to smell a chicken?
idunno.gif

How close do you have to get your nose?

If you do this routinely, I want to see your nose. There's sure to be a scar or two, unless it's the other end of the chicken you have to smell.
sickbyc.gif

lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

Quote:
Yep, we've really just started. I have three heifers that are old enough to breed but the summer heat kept them from cycling. Just gave them some lute to jump start them. Illia, you surprise me. Not many people are familiar with the breed and are always asking what they are.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom