Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

This is all I got from my hens today! They are going down hill fast ;( hate molting time!

79188_img_20111021_181204.jpg

Quote:
thats a wonderful egg Lynette!

Thank you. I think that is the best OE I have gotten so far. Hope she keeps it that color.

chevgrl: I hate molting time as well. Most of mine are all just starting to lay again. It has been an especially hot summer this year here and I actually lost a few birds to the heat. Then they all started molting grrr, so I am glad I am starting to see the eggs trickle in again.

Quote:
Don't whine
lol.png
My older girls are done molting, but haven't started laying again yet. I guess they deserve a good break; they started laying in Nov. 2010, and finally quit in August this year! I've had 5 eggs in the last 3 days!
lol.png

Quote:
Ok thanks!...so how much does your mixture once its all mixed up make and how many chickens do you feed with it? is it a replacer feeding...where you don't do the daily rations...or is it in addition to it? I thought of a few questions that I should have thought of before. I've got all my pumpkins to store for the winter now. I will be working on processing them slowly, and the other pumpkins while they are waiting will be held in my root cellar on storage shelves.

I make enough to fill a 5 gallon bucket for the 45 birds that I have now, when I had more birds I made 2- 5 gallon buckets of it. I take away all other feed for the day and replace with this....when this is all gone they can have regular rations back. I do mix in some wet all purpose to make it go just a little farther and to add some more substance (not like it needs it...it's so thick to begin with), it is not much, maybe a 2 pound scoop or so.

I missed something? What are you making and how do you make it? I have a garden full of pumpkins and was going to feed some to the birds anyway. I am not paying $8 for a pumpkin.... or picking them up in a field after pumpkin chunkin'

Now that I read the 13 pages from today will you forward that email to me too????

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom