Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I just peeked at the crossroads thread and some people are putting bird pics up
smile.png
droolin.gif
caf.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=415797&p=56

Quote:
I like that!

x2 that's so cute! It should be embroidered on a baby quilt.

In this poem and as the above person stated the author is known to be: Ruth Hulbert Hamilton.

Babies Don’t Keep
By Ruth Hulbert Hamilton

Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I’ve grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due,
Lullabye, rockaby, lullabye loo.
The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
And out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo,
But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo,
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs;
Dust go to sleep!
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.

With all this in mind however, It all depends on the dates, the only nearest physical evidence to prove the time period would be that it was embroidered at the time women were in long dresses and that the poem came from buried treasured books. Ruth pulished other poems such as ' Dust in Nursery' which was published in 1958

YESSSS!!!! Two possums in the trap this morning! There are now three less possums in the world!
ya.gif
celebrate.gif

i'm gonna keep setting the traps for a while and keep working at getting pens dismantled as I empty them and move birds to the barn so I'm ready for building in the spring. I'm just so excited and relieved in a way...but know enough to stay on guard too!

Quote:
x2 that's so cute! It should be embroidered on a baby quilt.

In this poem and as the above person stated the author is known to be: Ruth Hulbert Hamilton.

Babies Don’t Keep
By Ruth Hulbert Hamilton

Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I’ve grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due,
Lullabye, rockaby, lullabye loo.
The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
And out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo,
But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo,
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs;
Dust go to sleep!
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.

With all this in mind however, It all depends on the dates, the only nearest physical evidence to prove the time period would be that it was embroidered at the time women were in long dresses and that the poem came from buried treasured books. Ruth pulished other poems such as ' Dust in Nursery' which was published in 1958

Thanks for the full version. It is really precious!

Quote:
WhooHooo! I'm so glad you got those chicken thieves. Yep there's always more where they came from but maybe they wont come around till spring at least.
So what size building are you gonna be putting up in the spring?
It was actually a little nippy this morning a whole 47F LOL! It felt good though. Yep I'm a wuss since I've been living in the warm places.

Quote:
WhooHooo! I'm so glad you got those chicken thieves. Yep there's always more where they came from but maybe they wont come around till spring at least.
It was actually a little nippy this morning a whole 47F LOL! It felt good though. Yep I'm a wuss since I've been living in the warm places.

I'm gonna be building a big u shaped set of breeding pens. there will be pens 8'x10' to 10'x12'. They will all be connected with door entrances to each pen facing in the u...in all it will be about 54' wide at the base of the u by 10' and the two parts of the u that go up will be 8'x34' each. So in all I will probably end up with about 13 pens or so. I will also have my chainlink kennels as well that I will be relocating, plus the 4 breeder pens in the stalls. This winter I will also be building chick grow out pens one by one that are raised off the ground with an attached small building at the back for them to go into at night. I'll build them in the garage and move them down to the chicken yard one by one as I finish them. Its gonna be a ton of work and wanted to get started this fall, but with my back problems I had to put them on hold.

Quote:

Ya know...the one thing that is a bit unsettling about the possums is that one of them is quite a bit smaller than the other two I got. The third one I saw was the same size as the others...so I'm thinking it is more than likely I'm not done with the trapping. So, I'll be keeping it up and see what I can get. I'm not about to let them start thinking this place is a free buffet! Not with the progress I've made over the last year with my birchens...No no no no......

Back
Top Bottom