Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Quote:
thanks!!!

did I miss a post from VC yesterday regarding info. about the carnation comb discussion????

we have been fighting colds and flu here this past week, finally got our heat back up and running on Wed with our new furnance so I might have missed something on it. Today my one ear is stuffed up and everytime the dogs back it echos funny in my head.

planning to go and take some updated pictures of the babies again- they are coming up on 7 weeks old and hopefully the camera will do a good job getting the pictures- very interesting! Be back a bit later with the pictures.

No but I did post over at the coop on the thread that Pink posted on. I disagree with the NZ chap, from what I've read. Not autosomal recessive... it would be a lot easier to eliminate - like wheaten or recessive white, or any of the other autosomal recessives.

Traits that require two autosomal dominants can behave exactly like an autosomal recessive in a cross... same exact ratios of expression.

Quote:
thanks!!!

did I miss a post from VC yesterday regarding info. about the carnation comb discussion????

we have been fighting colds and flu here this past week, finally got our heat back up and running on Wed with our new furnance so I might have missed something on it. Today my one ear is stuffed up and everytime the dogs back it echos funny in my head.

planning to go and take some updated pictures of the babies again- they are coming up on 7 weeks old and hopefully the camera will do a good job getting the pictures- very interesting! Be back a bit later with the pictures.

No but I did post over at the coop on the thread that Pink posted on. I disagree with the NZ chap, from what I've read. Not autosomal recessive... it would be a lot easier to eliminate - like wheaten or recessive white, or any of the other autosomal recessives.

Traits that require two autosomal dominants can behave exactly like an autosomal recessive in a cross... same exact ratios of expression.

okay thanks, will have to pop in over there and read again- haven't registered there just reading for now.

I hatched my first batch of Black Coppers! I set 25 eggs, and got 23 hatched, only 1 infertile in the bunch (the cockerel is doing a good job!
wink.png
), only 1 didn't hatch, and so far, only one weak chick that died. They hatched on 12/27 and 12/28, so now they are 2-3 days old. I went through the batch to see if they would feather sex: I got one batch of 11 that I'd call males, and one batch of 11 that I'd call females, although of this batch, some looked way obvious females, and some were not so obvious. Just wondered if others have successfully feathered sexed their Marans chicks, and at what age? Thanks!

Mine are hard for me to pin feather sex, but REALLY easy to sex at about 3-4 days old!

My females have even wing feathers and my males have long primaries and short secondaries. Very, very obvious in mine.

I wish my BLRW were so straightforward!!

Ok - picture day!

young pure Davis pullet

My big blue girls

Here you can get an idea of the Blue Marans girls - the BCMs next to her are from the same hatch (different breeder)

Here's my nearly white girl - is she Splash?
She's bright white with a grey feather or two.
She's my only one without feathered legs

She is VERY shy and skittish...hard to photo well...

Here she is next to a BCM and BM for comparison

Back
Top Bottom