Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Quote:
Not meaning to put you on the spot but, Wynette, since you have some "experience" on BYC, is there a way we can get such misinformation corrected or can members just post such authoritive looking information willy nilly?
hmm.png
(That page is a bit scary!)

Let me go look at it - I think it's an "article" which anyone can post, but I'll check. I don't think there's any reason for it to be there if it's inaccurate.

Yes I intend to read up on this thread, It has already given me invaluable information and great pictures to look at also. I currently have 12 marans eggs in the incubator, maybe these will give me better luck. Although they are from the same source, I do get to check the group from scratch. Fingers crossed they hatch :).

At what age does a black copper marans rooster begin to develop colours? I have one at 12 weeks old who appears black allover. He is beginning to get some green sheen but that's about it, is he going to stay black forever or will he change?
I have a 4 week old blue copper that is already showing copper in the neck.

Yes I intend to read up on this thread, It has already given me invaluable information and great pictures to look at also. I currently have 12 marans eggs in the incubator, maybe these will give me better luck. Although they are from the same source, I do get to check the group from scratch. Fingers crossed they hatch :).

Good luck on your hatch ....
fl.gif
and don't get discouraged if it isn't an earth shattering hatch. Marans can be tricky at the best of times! Keep us posted ....
big_smile.png

Thanks Walt, this will give the folks working with the Birchen something to go by when making up the breeding pens. Nothing nicer than a Birchen with the Dark face.

I understand how the standards committee works for the most part in breeds clubs and how they are submitted to the standards committee of the APA for review, corrections and final approval, but I guess I've got a couple of questions. Where you were saying they are talking of reducing the variances of the color varieties, and how it is good and bad, I'm wondering several things about if the standard proposed varies from the color standard of the APA, where will that leave things? Will they be adjusted, or left, or what would be the factors in considering whether they have validity to vary from the APA?

Not meaning to put you on the spot but, Wynette, since you have some "experience" on BYC, is there a way we can get such misinformation corrected or can members just post such authoritive looking information willy nilly?
hmm.png
(That page is a bit scary!)
Well..........nuthshell: just like the internet, folks can post what they want. There's absolutely no way we (BYC Staff) can be held responsible to check each & every piece of information posted here for accuracy. Just can't be done. It's up to folks reading it to question...and it's ALWAYS the best habit to check with the source, of course. That said, I am checking to see if we can have the narrative portion of this page removed.

Quote: He knew they were pet quality, and not being stand offish, but what is the big deal, if he does come on here and ask question I thought that is what we were all here for, to pass on information we learned. He saw the color eggs they lay, as I had them with me. If you buy at a swap are you expecting to get SQ birds? Not me. Why is it a problem to pass off information. The ongoing problem I have found is that some folks don't ask questions, because those like you make us feel stupid, for asking or we don't ask. I was sold the eggs and no one informed me of the white tail thing. I had to learn by asking. I didn't fault the seller, I'm sure they know and are correcting the problem.
Michele

I understand how the standards committee works for the most part in breeds clubs and how they are submitted to the standards committee of the APA for review, corrections and final approval, but I guess I've got a couple of questions. Where you were saying they are talking of reducing the variances of the color varieties, and how it is good and bad, I'm wondering several things about if the standard proposed varies from the color standard of the APA, where will that leave things? Will they be adjusted, or left, or what would be the factors in considering whether they have validity to vary from the APA?
Vicki, Hope Walt will comment on this question. If I remember right when the Wheaten were accepted was told they were trying to close up new breeds that were coming into the APA . I myself am in favor of unifying the varieties so when you are thinking about breeding some show type fowl it would be a unified program. I believe he was only referring to new breeds and not the already approved breeds. What walts has stated about the Birchen comes straight from the SOP and is what will be expect for the Birchen Marans Standard.

Back
Top Bottom