Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I have a question for those who Vaccinate for Fowl Pox...

This vaccine should be given yearly. I have found that I had a very hard time getting the needle through the wings of some of birds that are at least 3 years old. Has anyone else experienced this?

It was so hard to push the needle through the wings on these older birds, that I have decided not to vaccinate those birds next year...

I have a question for those who Vaccinate for Fowl Pox...

This vaccine should be given yearly. I have found that I had a very hard time getting the needle through the wings of some of birds that are at least 3 years old. Has anyone else experienced this?

It was so hard to push the needle through the wings on these older birds, that I have decided not to vaccinate those birds next year...
Move the site of entry closer to the Bone and meat section.

Thanks for the info. So if I vaccinate my birds, they shouldn't catch what I am giving them shots for, but were they to be tested for that particular disease, it might pop up as a false positive. because testing sometimes looks for antibodies and the vaccines, though inert themselves, still cause and immune response and create those antibodies. Is it ever an issue for showing or selling though?

Like in goats, CL is bad news and it is kind of a catch 22 for those who vaccinate-your goats will not actually get CL BUT you can't really offer people papers saying your goats are clean because a test will probably pop up positive due to that vaccine.

Another thing I am not so sure on is it sounds like some are saying that giving the vaccine actually could mean other birds around those vaccinated could catch the disease from that bird?

Walt, take a look at the silver blue pullet in middle of page. What are the breeders supposed to do with the Mulberry face, comb, wattles and ear lobes . I realize the Marans do not have this look.
In two of the photos, To me,, the hens look like someone smeared black shoe polish over the red faces. LOL

Could it indicate that underneath that "mulberry", there is red, indicating melanization.

Its been my experience, that those pullets with the dark faces, eventually redden up after they start laying. And they are usually the ones that develop their color much later than normal, again, probably over melanization.

I personally prefer a red face on Marans.

In two of the photos, To me,, the hens look like someone smeared black shoe polish over the red faces. LOL

Could it indicate that underneath that "mulberry", there is red, indicating melanization.

Its been my experience, that those pullets with the dark faces, eventually redden up after they start laying. And they are usually the ones that develop their color much later than normal, again, probably over melanization.

I personally prefer a red face on Marans.
Sue, I am sure you are right as I have heard that VICKI has a large supply of polish. Mulberry face has nothing to do with being overmelanized.

Sue, I am sure you are right as I have heard that VICKI has a large supply of polish. Mulberry face has nothing to do with being overmelanized.
ha! At first I thought you meant polish chickens (just got out of work and am fried)....and I'm thinking to myself, Don sure doesn't know me very well if he thinks I have polish!
gig.gif

Some do this...

Around my house, it is more like this...

I have a little Olive Egger that doesn't even care if I have nail polish on my feet. She runs up to me and attacks my feet because she wants treats. She bites my feet and then stares up at me looking for a handout!

The roos are slightly different. The Wheaten roos have a cinnamon triangle at the tip of their wings. The pullets look totally different.

The easiest way is to look at the wing.... The wheaten will have copper on the wing triangle....

Yes, I have some FBCM pullets and they are very different from the Wheaten pullets... So then if just the wing is different, the roos of both types would have the same amount of coppering throughout the rest of their body?

Yes, I have some FBCM pullets and they are very different from the Wheaten pullets... So then if just the wing is different, the roos of both types would have the same amount of coppering throughout the rest of their body?
No one said the wing is the ONLY thing different. We said it was the easiest way to tell the difference in the roosters.... There are more differences.

No one said the wing is the ONLY thing different. We said it was the easiest way to tell the difference in the roosters.... There are more differences.

That's what I'm trying to understand.... What I probably need is side by side pics with arrows pointing at differences, lol... I'm a visual learner, apparently, reading descriptions on the Marans Club confuses me, but probably just because I need to read more of it!!

Back
Top Bottom