Marbolfloxacin and meloxicam

jendarwin

Songster
Dec 24, 2016
I took my ducks for a vet check up today. My female duck is been laying soft shell eggs and is slightly limping. They have advices me to give them marbolfloxacin and meloxicam for a week.
She is already on calcium citrate 500 mg everyday for 4 days now. I’m not sure if I can go about giving her these tablets and is it alright to go with calcium supplements.. advice please

When Meloxicam is given to the avian patient it is usually given *twice* a day.

Marbofloxacin is a fluoroquinolone and should not be taken with calcium.
The absorption of fluoroquinolones is markedly reduced by antacids, calcium carbonate, ferrous sulphate and sucralfate. Although quantitative differences between fluoroquinolones exist, these combinations should be avoided whenever possible.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2286594

I took my ducks for a vet check up today. My female duck is been laying soft shell eggs and is slightly limping. They have advices me to give them marbolfloxacin and meloxicam for a week.
She is already on calcium citrate 500 mg everyday for 4 days now. I’m not sure if I can go about giving her these tablets and is it alright to go with calcium supplements.. advice please
You should talk to your vet, but I read that the Marbofloxacin should not be given at the same time as calcium. Are you comfortable giving injections? If so you could give calcium injections instead of calcium pills.
calcium.jpg

Do as the vet prescribed...

Hi, just my thoughts!. I'm not too familiar with marbofloxacin but Meloxicam is an anti-inflammatory/ pain reliever, each dose lasts 24h. I would think it would be okay to give with calcium, but calcium can sometimes affect absorption of things. Maybe give the calcium in the morning and the other two in the evening??

I’m planning to stop calcium for a week and continue these two. Let’s see how it works on them. I will consult the doctor tomorrow again.

Back
Top Bottom