MARCH 2021 HATCH-A-LONG 🌷🌸🌼

Pics
So encouraging to see all those sweet babies in this thread and read of pippings, peeping in the eggs, etc. 😊
Congrats to everybody who's chicks already hatched ❤️
And I'm rooting for all the others still in their eggs :fl

...My current situation:
So today - day 7 - I candled all the eggs with my mom's help.
From my 15 bantam silkie eggs 11 showed such clear development so even I (newbie, first hatch) could recognize without problem: they are developing.
1 egg I'm confident it is developing, too, but not as sureas with the 11.
3 I really can't tell. They do have a different shell than the others, darker (but you only see that when using the light, from outside all look cream or very light rose colored).

(I used a mini-maglight with a soft rubber ring I stuffed on its front, it doesn't get hot, I checked on my cheek).

The 20 bantam Brahma x Deutsches Buschhuhn-mixes eggs my friend who lends me the incubator wanted me to add out of the blue and incubate for him with my shipped eggs are tough. They do have green, blue and rose shells. I only could make out clear development in 4 eggs, 3 of them rose ones and one a light green (and one of the biggest). There are some rose ones who didn't show anything significant, but one rose one looked different, I tried to take a picture but both my camera and mobile phone camera (phone is old) were not able to take a good picture in the dark room. So I'm sorry for the bad quality of my pic - - if possible please tell me what you see:
RIMG1264.JPG

Looks to me it has a point/shadow with kind of a ring around it, but no detectable veins?

I didn't take any eggs out yet (even not the clear looking rose ones). I will candle again on day 14 - I read in that time span no one will explode or rott so extremly it would be dangerous?

I'm so afraid I will not be able to detect non developing blue and green eggs from my friend and perhaps then those will endager all the other eggs in the incubator. *Sigh*.

So encouraging to see all those sweet babies in this thread and read of pippings, peeping in the eggs, etc. 😊

...My current situation:
From my 15 bantam silkie eggs 11 showed such clear development so even I (newbie, first hatch) could recognize without problem: they are developing.
3 I really can't tell. They do have a different shell than the others, darker (but you only see that when using the light, from outside all look cream or very light rose colored).

(I used a mini-maglight with a soft rubber ring I stuffed on its front, it doesn't get hot, I checked on my cheek).

The 20 bantam Brahma x Deutsches Buschhuhn-mixes eggs my friend who lends me the incubator wanted me to add out of the blue and incubate for him with my shipped eggs are tough. They do have green, blue and rose shells. I only could make out clear development in 4 eggs, 3 of them rose ones and one a light green (and one of the biggest). There are some rose ones who didn't show anything significant, but one rose one looked different, I tried to take a picture but both my camera and mobile phone camera (phone is old) were not able to take a good picture in the dark room. So I'm sorry for the bad quality of my pic - - if possible please tell me what you see:
View attachment 2577223
Looks to me it has a point/shadow with kind of a ring around it, but no detectable veins?

I didn't take any eggs out yet (even not the clear looking rose ones). I will candle again on day 14 - I read in that time span no one will explode or rott so extremly it would be dangerous?

I'm so afraid I will not be able to detect non developing blue and green eggs from my friend and perhaps then those will endager all the other eggs in the incubator. *Sigh*.
I had the same problem with a few of my eggs early on, but when you get further along day 14-16 if you see too much light throughout the egg you will know as the embryo should be taking up more and more room in the egg. I left some until day 16 and at that point it was obvious whether there was anything developing.

I had the same problem with a few of my eggs early on, but when you get further along day 14-16 if you see too much light throughout the egg you will know as the embryo should be taking up more and more room in the egg. I left some until day 16 and at that point it was obvious whether there was anything developing.
Thank you very much, reading your experiences made me relax a lot right now 😊

I have no external pippes, I thought I was on Day 21 today. I decided to candle to see what's going on and most have internal pippes and moving their beaks. I could be off a day or could they still externally pippe later today?
Takes about 24 hours from internal to external pip. They should be fine. Best not to open the incubator now unless you have to.😊

...My current situation:

View attachment 2577223

Congratulations on the great progress!😊
You can try candling the colored eggs again if you want with your candler on one end and a phone flashlight on the other end. Requires an extra pair of hands. I can see into very dark eggs this way. The green and blue ones can be as hard to see into as the dark brown ones.
I agree with waiting until day 14 to toss any non developers if you are not certain.😊

Takes about 24 hours from internal to external pip. They should be fine. Best not to open the incubator now unless you have to.😊

Thank you LadiesAndJane
I set this batch of eggs late at night, so my timing may be off. I usually set in early morning or around noon. This month I have been totally busy and the time change has totally messed me up, LOL

Congratulations on the great progress!😊
You can try candling the colored eggs again if you want with your candler on one end and a phone flashlight on the other end. Requires an extra pair of hands. I can see into very dark eggs this way. The green and blue ones can be as hard to see into as the dark brown ones.
I agree with waiting until day 14 to toss any non developers if you are not certain.😊
Thank you very much! Using different light sources on both ends is a great idea, I will definitely do that 👍 (fortunately my mom can help me with it).
Ok I will definitely wait till day 14 - thank you 😊

Back
Top Bottom