MARCH 2021 HATCH-A-LONG 🌷🌸🌼

Pics
So I have 2 eggs from my eggs that were due the 23rd that still haven't hatched but still have veins. I tossed the rest that hadn't hatched due to no veins/no burst air sac. They're a wyandotte and a buff. If I opened said eggs would there be any chance of finding a living chick?
All the other eggs that did hatch, hatched at least 48 hours ago.
You can candle them and see if they have internally pipped. You can also carefully make a hole above the aircell line, as if you were doing an assist. If the chick is alive in there, you will know. I usually wait until day 24 or even day 25 if I am not sure.

I breed reptiles and I've done enough fruitless egg autopsies to not have any interest in opening it unless they could live. If they can live I'll just freeze them and toss them. Unless there's another orefered method of dispatching eggs in birds.

Sounds like the one silkie egg has a saddled air cell. If it is solid and no jiggly edges, then these can often hatch just fine. It may even straighten out a bit as the chick develops.
If you are not sure about the darker colored eggs, then leave them in the incubator for now. You can reassess when you candle again at lock down. It is unlikely that they are not fertile, but in my own experience my cockerel does not mate with all the hens, so you never know. 😊
Thank you for the information about the saddle cell ❤️ I will read about this condition and search for pictures to perhaps be able to compare with what we did see. It is good to know that the little one still has a chance to develop and to hatch fine if it is saddle cell.
Yes I left all the dark eggs inside, but I'm kind of worried to miss something. ...I will sniff the inside of the incubator from now on every time I refill water 😅 Hoping to detect sulfury smells if there is something wrong with one or several of the eggs.
Is it normal we couldn't see any aircell in one of the green eggs? It was kind of solid dark/completely dark. All the other green and blue eggs did show aircells.

Thank you for the information about the saddle cell ❤️ I will read about this condition and search for pictures to perhaps be able to compare with what we did see. It is good to know that the little one still has a chance to develop and to hatch fine if it is saddle cell.
Yes I left all the dark eggs inside, but I'm kind of worried to miss something. ...I will sniff the inside of the incubator from now on every time I refill water 😅 Hoping to detect sulfury smells if there is something wrong with one or several of the eggs.
Is it normal we couldn't see any aircell in one of the green eggs? It was kind of solid dark/completely dark. All the other green and blue eggs did show aircells.
Not completely uncommon not to see much of an air cell with the darker eggs. Keep an eye on that one!
Here are a few examples of some rather extreme saddling in some of the eggs I had earlier.😊
19A0D11D-7DE6-45F8-9DF2-B68007B2445D.jpeg
6AE6D528-32D9-4A65-AAEC-349B5A7E655D.jpeg
CABE3E85-69D6-46BB-83EA-A896DEBC2313.jpeg

Not completely uncommon not to see much of an air cell with the darker eggs. Keep an eye on that one!
Here are a few examples of some rather extreme saddling in some of the eggs I had earlier.😊View attachment 2588061View attachment 2588062View attachment 2588063
Ok thank you, glad to know the fully dark greenshelled egg isn't uncommon and has still a chance ❤️
I'm kind of worried to miss something about the dark shelled eggs but I'm much, much more worried to toss out an egg with a living baby, so I will keep an eye but stay calm 😊
Thank you so much for showing your pictures, that's awesome! Yes the egg looks similar to picture 2 and 3, so it is a saddle cell! I'm so grateful you shared your pictures!👍❤️

I've lost track of what # hatch this is for me, but I may or may not be checking the incubator every hour on the hour for progress....and day 21 doesn't officially start until late tomorrow...

But, hey, if I'm going to be wide awake for days/weeks waiting on this foal to arrive, I might as well have something else to entertain me, right?

Back
Top Bottom