MARCH 2021 HATCH-A-LONG 🌷🌸🌼

Pics
I just may take you up on this, SC is quite a ways away though, not sure you or I would want the risk of a 2,000mile journey. would be one heck of a test though. would be interested in eggs from your opingtons and delawares.

I have the opposite problem, I get emails galore and ive tried changing it to stop emailing me without success. I check daily or every other day. but getting 15 emails a day is a bit too much.
I have emails turned off but usually get alerts. I haven’t been reviving them for this thread for some reason.

I picked up 23 eggs to set, (one missing because I didn't like the air cell.) These will go with my hens eggs, incase mine are not fertile these should be since they have active roosters. from 2 local farms. $5 a carton. The lower blue eggs are from isbars.
bluei.PNG

Barnyard mixes.

Last edited:
Ordered some more Jumbo Coturnix Quail eggs yesterday. Sounds like they should ship them out in about a week.

Bought most of my supplies to build my run for my existing quail (who have been living the high life this winter inside a stock tank in our old farmhouse). It has taken me forever to decide on what kind of pen I wanted for them....raised rabbit hutch, dog kennel, smaller chicken coop/run combo, something diy. I have found 2 typos in the directions for this diy rabbit run plan....and a moment too late too. One of the typos is for cuts on some wood....and of course I didn't notice it until after I had the lumber store cut my wood for me. I think we have enough 2x4 scrap around the farm that I can find 6 24" long pieces, but really stinks to have paid for a length of 2x4 to be cut into 21" pieces. I would like to find a 15 foot roll of hardware cloth to use instead of chicken wire. I will need to measure and cut a board to fit as the front of the enclosed area. And I need to find a 28"x8' sheet of corrugated metal for the top. But other than that, ready to start putting it together! Then I need to get to work on building my breeding pens. Then my 2nd coop and my raised garden beds. Lots and lots of building to do!

Ordered some more Jumbo Coturnix Quail eggs yesterday. Sounds like they should ship them out in about a week.

Bought most of my supplies to build my run for my existing quail (who have been living the high life this winter inside a stock tank in our old farmhouse). It has taken me forever to decide on what kind of pen I wanted for them....raised rabbit hutch, dog kennel, smaller chicken coop/run combo, something diy. I have found 2 typos in the directions for this diy rabbit run plan....and a moment too late too. One of the typos is for cuts on some wood....and of course I didn't notice it until after I had the lumber store cut my wood for me. I think we have enough 2x4 scrap around the farm that I can find 6 24" long pieces, but really stinks to have paid for a length of 2x4 to be cut into 21" pieces. I would like to find a 15 foot roll of hardware cloth to use instead of chicken wire. I will need to measure and cut a board to fit as the front of the enclosed area. And I need to find a 28"x8' sheet of corrugated metal for the top. But other than that, ready to start putting it together! Then I need to get to work on building my breeding pens. Then my 2nd coop and my raised garden beds. Lots and lots of building to do!
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you! Would love to see the finished product.😊

So just tossed the three possible blood rings, quite clearly blood rings now. 🙁Photo attached for educational purposes! The other five look like the last photo so hoping these five make it. 5 out of 25 gives a 20% hatch rate if they all go to hatch, which I guess is par for the course for shipped eggs!
B9DCAAE9-503F-41A0-BB7A-B34B8DF2D3FD.jpeg
80E08B43-B161-4DE9-8D53-20C412E911E2.jpeg
D54A25A2-24BC-4F68-A94D-1D58B9652407.jpeg

How they should look at day 8:

09CBCC5E-363F-40C2-91CE-7E3F9D22D6AA.jpeg

We kept ours in a raised hutch with a sloped bottom to make egg collecting easier. (They rolled to the front.) Highly reccomend that style. But sounds like you've put a lot of thought into it. I miss my quails

So just tossed the three possible blood rings, quite clearly blood rings now. 🙁Photo attached for educational purposes! The other five look like the last photo so hoping these five make it. 5 out of 25 gives a 20% hatch rate if they all go to hatch, which I guess is par for the course for shipped eggs!View attachment 2546103View attachment 2546104View attachment 2546105

How they should look at day 8:

View attachment 2546106
It seems like shipped eggs have a worse chance every year. What are they doing to these poor eggs. I had a shipment of quail eggs where only 3 out of 104 hatched. And a shipment of 64 later where 95% hatched. Just so crazy

Back
Top Bottom