MARCH 2021 HATCH-A-LONG 🌷🌸🌼

Pics
In my experience with quail eggs usually they got that on them from another egg. Most mine that were neighboring my exploded egg still hatched
I put one back that looked like it just got a bit on it, (yay 1 lavender Orpington saved) but the others the gunk looks like it was growing on them from multiple areas.

View attachment 2564151

I did some reading and found the eggs with crystals are due to bacterial infection and are prone to explode after a while.
I removed 5 eggs. Really sad as this is 3/5 of the lavender Orpington eggs and 2/6 speckled Sussex eggs we were shipped.
Do you mean the little bumps on the outside of the egg? These look like calcium deposits to me and if they are, they should have no effect on the hatch.

View attachment 2564151

I did some reading and found the eggs with crystals are due to bacterial infection and are prone to explode after a while.
I removed 5 eggs. Really sad as this is 3/5 of the lavender Orpington eggs and 2/6 speckled Sussex eggs we were shipped.
What the heck!!! those eggs went from nest to box. A couple of them were still warm. I have 8 breeding pens that I average 15 - 21 eggs from a day so I just checked the eggs in the incubator from the same day and they are fine, no signs of anything off about them. Could they have partially froze on the trip I wonder.

Received 7 Cream Legbar hatching eggs in the mail today. I tried to candle them to check the air cells and can't really see anything. I think there was one with a detached air cell because there was a distinct "bubble" that moved when I slowly turned the egg. With the others, I couldn't see anything other than the yolks. Going to let them rest overnight and then put them in the incubator tomorrow along with 2 Blue Andalusian x EE cross eggs.

I'm wondering if my DH will notice the eggs in the incubator....lol. He's absolutely going to kill me if I keep getting more chickens. :p In all seriousness, this is the last batch for a while. If I lose a bunch over the summer, then maybe I'll get some more hatching eggs in the late summer or early fall.

Received 7 Cream Legbar hatching eggs in the mail today. I tried to candle them to check the air cells and can't really see anything. I think there was one with a detached air cell because there was a distinct "bubble" that moved when I slowly turned the egg. With the others, I couldn't see anything other than the yolks. Going to let them rest overnight and then put them in the incubator tomorrow along with 2 Blue Andalusian x EE cross eggs.

I'm wondering if my DH will notice the eggs in the incubator....lol. He's absolutely going to kill me if I keep getting more chickens. :p In all seriousness, this is the last batch for a while. If I lose a bunch over the summer, then maybe I'll get some more hatching eggs in the late summer or early fall.
I have had eggs brewing more or less since November. My DH doesn't even notice or even complain anymore about chicks being in the house! He does not know or ask how many chickens we have, I think he has given up, I am a lost cause!🤣
I have more paint silkie eggs on the way...

You mean you'll set a few more on 13th for easter hatch a long. 🤣
My husband was like "what easter hatch, how, do we need more chicks after these 38 hatch?" but the eggs are in the cupboard waiting to be placed on the 13th. 🤣 Well egg atm. She hasn't laid the past few days. And I do absolutely need more polish babies. He is misinformed. I have 2 adults and 3 eggs brewing. That is FAR from enough polish

Back
Top Bottom