March Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Soooo... last night when I did my candling, I removed two dead eggs. I put them in an egg carton and took it outside, and put it next to the barbecue with the intention of looking inside today. When I woke up this morning, the carton was gone!

I found it later in the afternoon, ripped to pieces. My leading theory is that one of the dogs found it, and ate the dead eggs. Gross.

I was really wanting to set eggs next weekend but I seen the weather and we will be getting some bad storms that weekend and the next week. Now I'm thinking I may wait because I really don't want to lose electricity with eggs in the incubator. I have had it happen a few times but it was never off long enough to hurt.

Do any of y'all check the weather like crazy old me before setting eggs? My husband said I was crazy but losing electricity with eggs in the incubator is my biggest fear.

Merrymouse --
Chicks can hatch a bit early for numerous reasons: Incubator being a warmer is one of them and mine run a little teensy bit warmer than 100.
I complain not because my first attempts at Marans, they were always the "late" eggs, hatching out as late as Day 24.
Thus far, on this Day 21, 20 of the 22 eggs have hatched. The two that haven't hatched are of the 4 green eggs -- the 2nd generation Olive Egger eggs -- in a container in the hatcher's corner...but the other two ones that have hatched are blue in color. Yay! Chicks will get moved out of incubator tomorrow morning, so pictures will be forthcoming!

I got Barred Rocks they sent twelve order was for ten + two were broke ..overall happy I got the ten I ordered..going in incubator first thing in the morning...pretty excited first time hatching!! Gonna do another set soon after..
My barred rock is my favorite hen. She is super friendly, always jumps right in my lap and is a great layer. I happen to think she is stunning to look at, if I do say so myself...ill try to post a pic..her name is Mary Poopins. Good luck on your hatch, Im a first time hatcher too.

11CAD326-9D14-48B8-B523-948F3ACD40AC.jpeg
Mary Poopins she’s sitting on my lap of course. That’s the reason for the extreme close up. I also have a buff and a silver penciled rock. Really awesome chickens. Good luck

Merrymouse --
Chicks can hatch a bit early for numerous reasons: Incubator being a warmer is one of them and mine run a little teensy bit warmer than 100.
I complain not because my first attempts at Marans, they were always the "late" eggs, hatching out as late as Day 24.
Thus far, on this Day 21, 20 of the 22 eggs have hatched. The two that haven't hatched are of the 4 green eggs -- the 2nd generation Olive Egger eggs -- in a container in the hatcher's corner...but the other two ones that have hatched are blue in color. Yay! Chicks will get moved out of incubator tomorrow morning, so pictures will be forthcoming!
Thanks for your reply. I've had mine running 99.5-99.6 and it doesn't seem to fluctuate. Im only on day 10 so my day 21 will be next Sat 3/16. I was just a bit worried because i have to work a 12 hour shift on Thursday 3/14 and i don't want to miss a thing as its my first time trying to hatch.

I just found this thread, we have 33 eggs in, staggered, 17 should hatch Tuesday the 12th, the rest the 18th. This is our first incubator hatch, the fhe last time we had chicks we had a broody hen who we brought in the house with the chicks and she took care of them.
With these little guys we don't know how we will keep them warm yet, my husband found this brooder thing called Titan incubators, 30 cm x 30 cm, EUR 45.00
Does anyone know this product or this type of system? Would you recommend it or not and does this price seem about right?
We can't wait to see our little chicks and seeing your pictures is making the wait even harder!
I have a titan brooder, they are similar to the brinsea eco glow but half the price. I paid about $79au not sure how that compares but it's very good although I find it gets too hot for the chicks if set low over them. Much safer than heatlamps and the chicks love it. I run staggered hatches so have a heatlamp in a plastic tub as well for when chicks are first out of the hatcher and too little to mix with the bigger chicks. Then they go into the bigger brooder cage with the titan until they are big enough to go into an unheated cage.

I was really wanting to set eggs next weekend but I seen the weather and we will be getting some bad storms that weekend and the next week. Now I'm thinking I may wait because I really don't want to lose electricity with eggs in the incubator. I have had it happen a few times but it was never off long enough to hurt.

Do any of y'all check the weather like crazy old me before setting eggs? My husband said I was crazy but losing electricity with eggs in the incubator is my biggest fear.

I usually check the weather, but being in WI is a huge gamble. We have a storm rolling in tomorrow with snow, potential ice and high winds

So the hen I wanted to hatch from, that quit laying weeks ago, finally laid today. I’m on day seven with my other eggs, so I think I’m going to pop this egg in along with a legbar, since all my other legbar I set were infertile. Do I need 29 baby chicks...of course! Where will I go with all of them...I’ll cross that bridge when I get there!:D

Back
Top Bottom