March Hatch-A-Long

Pics
So last night I took out the turning disc in my brinsea and put the corregated cardboard disc in. I candled my eggs..still not sure if this was day 17 or day 18 but I am working like 16 hours today and my eggs were moving yesterday so I figured it was ok to lockdown late last night instead of waiting until late tonight which would be essentially day 19. Anyway, I candled and my air cells looked good an I could see chick movement but the air cell seemed a little small compared to the pictures Ive been obsessing over online. So I didn't top off the water. There was still water in there but on lockdown your supposed to fill both sides of the water thing to up humidity. I figured I'd give it one more day with lower humidity to grow my air cells if possible. Ill have my daughter check after school for any pips and she can add water if any. I doubt it though since its early. I have no idea why my air cells are kinda small, my eggs are kinda small more medium than large but its too late now to do anything about it so :fl of course I took a video of the whole candling, fussing and worrying...On a good note, my chicks from cackle are on the way and hopefully will be here tomorrow!!! Thanks again all for your continued support:hugs

Good luck I know hard the wait is!

So while I went to visit the chickens I took one of the eggs that my silkie has been sitting on at night but not during the day (she really is broken lol). I candled it and there are veins!

So if the egg had been growing for 2 1/2 days then my silkie hen stopped sitting on them during the day for 4 days wouldnt the veins do a death blood ring?

Curious to see how this would go I cracked open one of the eggs in the incubator that is very light and no growth seen(this is the one that had been in my fridge for a week from my own hen) and found what I had suspected..no growth..nada. So in its place I put the one that I took from the nest outside. Guess I will see how it goes.

So I put a separate post on this but thought I would add it here too.

I went and candled the last three eggs that my silkie has abandoned at day 2 1/2 since the last one that I saw in the post above looked good. They all look alive !
87CE54BB-DC7E-49C1-AAB7-BC86CCC089A0.jpeg

So I took three of my eggs in the incubator that look like they have no progress and switched them out for the ones that show life.

I cracked them open and there was no sign of development.

It will be interesting to see how these do since silkie has only been sitting on them at night.

Fully pipped, zipped, and just managed to pop the lid just now!
I’m not sure I’ll lockdown like this again. It was quite difficult for the baby to break out - more so than if it had been more naturally on its side.
I liked the idea of the babies not rolling the other eggs and causing them to drown, but I think the flat way is still better...possibly some kind of slant would work...hm. I’ll see how this hatch proceeds before deciding for sure.
4D156BCC-04A5-4FF8-9367-ABEDF7D1067B.jpeg BD0A64D6-AE34-42DA-A95A-1521A96850B0.jpeg
More and better pics once fully fluffed tonight or tomorrow depending on the rest of the eggs.
The second pip is doing alright, but no other visible pips for now.

Fully pipped, zipped, and just managed to pop the lid just now!
I’m not sure I’ll lockdown like this again. It was quite difficult for the baby to break out - more so than if it had been more naturally on its side.
I liked the idea of the babies not rolling the other eggs and causing them to drown, but I think the flat way is still better...possibly some kind of slant would work...hm. I’ll see how this hatch proceeds before deciding for sure.
View attachment 1701360 View attachment 1701358
More and better pics once fully fluffed tonight or tomorrow depending on the rest of the eggs.
The second pip is doing alright, but no other visible pips for now.
I tried hatching in the cartons and didn't like it. I thought it would be better that way so the other chicks wouldn't kick the other eggs around. I did notice that I have a better hatch rate if I lay the eggs on their side at lock down.

Cute little ducky:love

Back
Top Bottom