Pics
Pretty sure Wilma has Mareks too now 😭😭

She was hobbling around last night and now she’s been inside all day. I got her some water and food and now she’s laying outside where it’s cooler but it’s not looking good. :(

She’s panting too.

60E187CC-759F-4028-B420-DB760DD9D519.jpeg 06CCEE42-ACCE-4877-AD8B-EA35FAE9ECD8.jpeg AF92B7B5-B774-4425-9289-13B7637E6E90.jpeg 12A3F0F7-FF12-48F0-BDD1-3CCFE8E83296.jpeg

It is possible to control it KDOGG. Remember my experiences with the disease? You will have a surge of losses. Mine lasted 6 months. I lost 2/3rds of my flock in that time. 1-2 birds a week at times. Then they will slow. The survivors are carriers. No matter how safe you are you have to remember that it stays in the soil for 7 years and is impossible to contain.

I'm sorry to hear that you have another bird showing signs of the disease. I hate it. BUT I haven't lost a bird in a year, knock on wood, cross myself, whatever it takes.

I know my birds are carriers and I know that I'm going to have to go for years without losses before I know the disease is at least knocked back on our property. Then it is always there, lurking, waiting to strike again.

I had my original flock butchered this time last summer. They were almost 4 years old. Not laying well, not wanting to go out. I couldn't justify keeping them around to spread the disease in their dander so I made the hard decision to cull them. They were dog food, slow cooked in a crock pot and boned. Their lives had value. They taught me about Marek's and the importance of vaccinating.

My Egyptian Fayoumis are doing wonderful and I'm hoping 6 eggs under a broody due to hatch this weekend enlarges my flock of these delightful birds.

Hang in there kiddo. It will be rough but you can get through this and so can your flock.

It is possible to control it KDOGG. Remember my experiences with the disease? You will have a surge of losses. Mine lasted 6 months. I lost 2/3rds of my flock in that time. 1-2 birds a week at times. Then they will slow. The survivors are carriers. No matter how safe you are you have to remember that it stays in the soil for 7 years and is impossible to contain.

I'm sorry to hear that you have another bird showing signs of the disease. I hate it. BUT I haven't lost a bird in a year, knock on wood, cross myself, whatever it takes.

I know my birds are carriers and I know that I'm going to have to go for years without losses before I know the disease is at least knocked back on our property. Then it is always there, lurking, waiting to strike again.

I had my original flock butchered this time last summer. They were almost 4 years old. Not laying well, not wanting to go out. I couldn't justify keeping them around to spread the disease in their dander so I made the hard decision to cull them. They were dog food, slow cooked in a crock pot and boned. Their lives had value. They taught me about Marek's and the importance of vaccinating.

My Egyptian Fayoumis are doing wonderful and I'm hoping 6 eggs under a broody due to hatch this weekend enlarges my flock of these delightful birds.

Hang in there kiddo. It will be rough but you can get through this and so can your flock.
Thank you so much!! This is a relief knowing it is possible to contain it eventually!!! Though I’m sorry you’ve had such a rough time with it. :( :hugs

Thankfully all my birds are vaccinated except these two (plus the one I lost in April) so I’m not sure if the other birds will get it??? I know they are probably carriers. In fact, I’m sure they gave it to these babies. :(

I just worry about my new quail that hatched today as I know they can get it too. :(

And I worry about Jack. I’ve really grown to love him. :( I know it is likely only a matter of time before he gets it too and I am really dreading it. I am sure I will cry a lot. 😭:hit :oops:

Pretty sure Wilma has Mareks too now 😭😭

She was hobbling around last night and now she’s been inside all day. I got her some water and food and now she’s laying outside where it’s cooler but it’s not looking good. :(

She’s panting too.

View attachment 2175426View attachment 2175427View attachment 2175428View attachment 2175429
@Kiki @casportpony @igorsMistress here’s some pictures of Wilma. Does it look like she has it too? :( I know I should probably just off her now and be done with it but man does this suck 😭😭😭

Back
Top Bottom